Coils, what would you do?

More
25 Apr 2013 00:43 #583896 by nedrowjoe
Coils, what would you do? was created by nedrowjoe
I searched topic for close to an hour to try to find my answer, I didn't so I am posing this question. Is replacing coils a standard upgrade when trying to get my csr1000 in tip top shape? If using stock coils is it always a good idea to replace them? I can go through testing and kill myself with different testing methods, under stress or not under stress. Or, since I have a little extra money, should I just change them out for Dyna or accel? I hope to get into increasing performance some day. I have replaced the whole charging system, battery, stator, rectifier, checked and changed all bad connections. I believe I have a stock ignition, but from what I understand the aftermarket coils work with stock ignition. I am not so sure the stock coils are shot, but then again they are 32 years old, would you change them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2013 00:58 #583899 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic Coils, what would you do?
If you don't mind spending some money put new ones on. I hear the dynas give a better spark I'm sure other aftermarket ones do too. I'm running stock coils and as long as they don't fail under heated conditions they will stay until some other stuff is done. Ignition is always a good upgrade tho

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

More
25 Apr 2013 04:31 #583921 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Coils, what would you do?

nedrowjoe wrote: I searched topic for close to an hour to try to find my answer, I didn't so I am posing this question. Is replacing coils a standard upgrade when trying to get my csr1000 in tip top shape? If using stock coils is it always a good idea to replace them? I can go through testing and kill myself with different testing methods, under stress or not under stress. Or, since I have a little extra money, should I just change them out for Dyna or accel? I hope to get into increasing performance some day. I have replaced the whole charging system, battery, stator, rectifier, checked and changed all bad connections. I believe I have a stock ignition, but from what I understand the aftermarket coils work with stock ignition. I am not so sure the stock coils are shot, but then again they are 32 years old, would you change them?

beause of the grief my old coils gave me..... and the "good used" one I got that failed a few months after I installed it..... I am no longer a believer in running old coils. They don't wear well and run way too hot to have a long life.

Dyna and Accel make good coils (kind of pricey) but I am not a believer that the stock coils are inadequate. The "stock OEM" types are a lot cheaper and don't draw as much current as the lower resistance "high performance" coils. There's nothing magic about coils they are actually flyback transformers and that 'science" has been well known for many decades. If there was free horsepower to be had just by "changing" the coil, the bike makers would have scooped it up. Unless the engine has been altered for higher revving and or compression, IMHO the stock coil is just fine.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Apr 2013 11:41 #583963 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Coils, what would you do?
Bountyuhunter may be right but many years ago when I replaced my points with a Dyna S and replaced stock coils with Dynas my carb issues disappeared! Major improvement over what I had. New stock coils may have done the same, I don't know but I have no regrets.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
25 Apr 2013 17:21 #584002 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Coils, what would you do?
DO not trust 30+ year old ignition systems.

More
28 Apr 2013 19:37 #584511 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Coils, what would you do?
I run the Dyna mini coils and think I
could run a weld bead with them.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
28 Apr 2013 19:50 #584515 by Matteson
Replied by Matteson on topic Coils, what would you do?
Dyna is trusted. Stock kz coils are Junk and then soon to be Junk. That's what they say.

KZ 900-a4

More
10 May 2013 13:26 #586738 by CoolerKing
Replied by CoolerKing on topic Coils, what would you do?
I like the universal emgo coils.

They're cheap enough and it eliminates any future problems associated with poor ignition.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

1978 KZ650-C2
1976 KZ400D-3 (sold)

More
10 May 2013 13:55 #586745 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Coils, what would you do?
The best matching coils, closest to stock for the factory electronic ignition, are the grey Dyna 2.2 ohm coils.

Green 3 ohm Dyna coils will work also, as would the 3 ohm Accel coils.

If you use a Dyna S ignition, you will need the 3 ohm coils.

More
10 May 2013 14:18 - 11 May 2013 11:43 #586747 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Coils, what would you do?
I'm still running stock coils and points on my KZ650 and I haven't had any ignition problems. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't plan to fix what ain't broke. B) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 11 May 2013 11:43 by 650ed.

More
10 May 2013 19:18 #586779 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Coils, what would you do?
650ed

I wouldn't have known my coils were weak, if not for replacing them with the Dynatek Mini-coils, on a hunch. Kind of figured the old stuff had it's better days...huge difference!
Then I changed the stock ignition out for the Dynatek 2000. :ohmy:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
10 May 2013 19:24 #586781 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Coils, what would you do?
The stock coils were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank, and you're asking to be stranded when they fail.....

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)