KZ1000 HT Leads

More
18 Apr 2013 06:04 #582924 by woodsy
KZ1000 HT Leads was created by woodsy
Sorry if i havn't searched enough but i have searched and cant find the exact info i want.

What i want to do is is put new bright yellow HT leads on the stock coils for my kz1000, the question is :-

Can i screw carbon leads into the stock coils, then what about suppression, i was hoping that i could have ends that fit straight onto the plugs with a rubber boot, basically like a car, so if anyone has any answers please help :)

KZ 1000 B3 ltd - Imported from USA in 1994 - Live in Cornwall UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2013 09:15 - 18 Apr 2013 09:17 #582935 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 HT Leads

woodsy wrote: Sorry if i havn't searched enough but i have searched and cant find the exact info i want.

What i want to do is is put new bright yellow HT leads on the stock coils for my kz1000, the question is :-

Can i screw carbon leads into the stock coils, then what about suppression, i was hoping that i could have ends that fit straight onto the plugs with a rubber boot, basically like a car, so if anyone has any answers please help :)

Perhaps of interest --
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...llow%29&item=DYDW500

A splicer may be an option for attaching new wires to a stock coil:
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...licer&item=TU38-1024

Would suggest replacing the old stock ignition coils with new Dyna green 3 ohm coils.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...9+DC1-1&item=DYDC1-1

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 09:17 by Patton.

More
18 Apr 2013 15:34 #582966 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000 HT Leads
I'll add my bits of information:

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike). These should be checked with a multimeter now and then, as heat can cause them to become intermittent.

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be possibly three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Apr 2013 17:32 #582975 by woodsy
Replied by woodsy on topic KZ1000 HT Leads
Cheers for the replies , guys, but no one is answering the question, the question is

can you fit carbon leads in sockets that have a screw in terminal, the coils on my kz1000 do not have sealed wires coming out but have screw in connectors eg a hole with a small screw poking up the middle to screw into the ht lead

hope that makes it clearer, cheers :)

More
18 Apr 2013 17:58 #582978 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000 HT Leads
Yes, but the carbon fiber type will have a relatively short life, when compared to the copper conductor ones.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Apr 2013 22:04 - 18 Apr 2013 22:05 #583014 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000 HT Leads

woodsy wrote: Sorry if i havn't searched enough but i have searched and cant find the exact info i want.

woodsy wrote: Cheers for the replies , guys, but no one is answering the question, the question is can you fit carbon leads in sockets that have a screw in terminal, the coils on my kz1000 do not have sealed wires coming out but have screw in connectors eg a hole with a small screw poking up the middle to screw into the ht lead hope that makes it clearer, cheers :)

:huh: 1979 KZ1000-B3 LTD stock coils with screw in terminals?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 22:05 by Patton.

More
19 Apr 2013 07:19 #583050 by woodsy
Replied by woodsy on topic KZ1000 HT Leads
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

My bad, they have boots on but they ARE sealed in :(

guess i'll have to go for new coils at some point

please excuse my stupidness :woohoo: