Starting but Not Running

More
17 Apr 2013 18:37 #582841 by KZCafeRacer
Starting but Not Running was created by KZCafeRacer
Hello all. I continue my engine rebuild that many of you have been helping me with, thank you for that.

Just got everything back together, fired her up, and encountered a new problem. The bike will engage the starter, putter, and even start, but then dies fairly quickly. The most I've gotten is a few seconds of "running" before it dies. I'll get this maybe once, then it will only "run" (I hear compression and exhaust) while the starter motor is engaged. It seems to do best if I let it sit for a day, then just keeps stopping once I stop pressing the starter button.

Because the engine starts on its own, and will even "run" for a number of seconds, I've gotta think this is electrical somehow. It is clearly getting air, fuel, and compression, and I just bought a new batter that I hoped would solve this problem. Am I completely off base here? If I'm not crazy, what could be the possible culprit? The relays?

1982 KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2013 18:39 #582842 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starting but Not Running
When you start it do you have the choke on and not touch the throttle? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Apr 2013 16:54 #582972 by KZCafeRacer
Replied by KZCafeRacer on topic Starting but Not Running
So I got it running! Would love to get feedback from the forum as to why. I've been attempting to start it with choke fully on and alternately engaging/not engaging the throttle. What I did last night was attempt again to the same results (only "running" while starter is depressed). SOOOO I switched the wires on the coils (wires still going to same coils, just switched which was top, which was bottom) and tried again. Did the same thing for a bit then slowly but surely started more and more (as I applied throttled) until it was finally running on its own just fine.

For my own learning, did switching the wires do anything or did it just need more attempts? Thanks for your brain space.

1982 KZ650