Early KZ 750 charging system

More
13 Apr 2013 14:22 #582153 by hawkman
Early KZ 750 charging system was created by hawkman
So I am frustrated with the lack of parts for my kz 750. I currently have the early 3 phase system and was wondering if it would be worth the money to update to the single phase system on the 78 and later models ? If anybody has info or has done just this let me know how it went. Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2013 14:31 #582154 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Early KZ 750 charging system
What part(s) can't you find? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Apr 2013 15:11 #582159 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Early KZ 750 charging system
The early 3-phase system is superior, but only when working properly. It's more efficient and wastes less crank power. On the other hand it's more complicated and may be harder to get alternator parts for.

The odd thing about the early 750 twin system is that the regulator is electronic (other Kaws used mechanical relays). The polarity on the field coil is reversed from other Kaws that use field coils (77 650 four and early 400 twins).

OregonMotorcycleParts.com has the correct regulator, and generic rectifiers you can use.

More
14 Apr 2013 12:50 #582267 by hawkman
Replied by hawkman on topic Early KZ 750 charging system
So with the three phase system, as I read the schematics, the regulator controls the field excitation, as the rotor turns it cuts the field, and the stator pushes ac voltage up to the rectifier thus converting ac into 12v dc power. The concept seems straight forward to me but mine isn't getting voltage to the battery. I bought a regulator thru my neihbor who gets a discount.... the company lists the same regulator for all the years. As I just found out the 76-77 run a three wire pre field reg and I bought a four wire post reg that fits on a 78 and later style.

Sorry for going on but I'm thinking that if the reg wont work, than the rest will follow? Or could it be that the stator rotor combo could be bad? I am trying to logically solve my issues out but there isn't a lot of these bikes on the road to be supported so... I sent an e-mail to the gentleman that runs oregonmotorcycleparts, just to pick his mind about parts and different charging styles for the 750's. Any other info would be awsome and maybe we can help get a few more bikes back on the road while we gather info. Thanks.

More
14 Apr 2013 13:01 #582269 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Early KZ 750 charging system
Test your rectifier (the instructions can be found in the Kawasaki Service Manual). If it has a bad diode the battery will not charge. They do fail; OregonMotorcycleParts.com will have a replacement. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)