Battery no power?

More
09 Apr 2013 12:38 #581385 by Kmalo86
Battery no power? was created by Kmalo86
hi all I apologize if this is a duplicate post but perhaps someone here can help me out? I have a 77 750 twin and for some reason it wont turn over with just the battery, this is a brand new agm sealed battery that was fully charged by the the store while i waited. but as soon as i put a jump pack on it it starts right up with no issue. Any input on this is much appreciated

thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2013 14:19 #581402 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Battery no power?
Did the bike act the same way with the old battery?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
09 Apr 2013 14:19 #581403 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Battery no power?
Maybe you got a bad battery, it happens. Way to check for sure is put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and read the volts when you push the start button. A good battery should be 10-11v give or take. If volts drop to zero or some other low number, the battery is a no fricking good new one. I got 12 miles out of a Motocraft battery one time.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
09 Apr 2013 14:50 #581410 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Battery no power?
Check all of the large battery cables for being clean and tight, and the ones going to and from the starter solenoid. The starter motor connection should be tight too. Sometimes, battery cables develope internal corrosion, so if they feel "Crunchy" when flexed, it's time to replace them.

6 AWG (Ameican Wire Gauge) welding cable is larger than what came with the bike,and will provide more current flow. You'll need to have the correct terminals crimped/swaged on the end of the new cables. The welding supply store might be able to do this, but if not, go to a shop that works on electric forklifts, as they are usually creating new cables.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
09 Apr 2013 16:59 #581428 by Kmalo86
Replied by Kmalo86 on topic Battery no power?
yes it was acting similar however my starter motor was bad previously as well and i just replaced that, i bought a better battery charger then what i had before im going to try it with with that before i go ripping out wires, and for the battery cables making a new one is that similar to replacing them on a car/truck? if so i already have the equipment to do that as i just did it on my durango
thanks for the replies all i hope to get pictures up soon this is my first bike and also my first project

More
09 Apr 2013 23:21 #581527 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Battery no power?
Your bike's battery cables are about 8 AWG in size. If you can get new terminals, it should improve the current transfer. www.easternbeaver.com might be able to get new cables that will bolt in with no problems.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
10 Apr 2013 18:22 #581679 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Battery no power?
Make sure the grounding wire from the - side of the battery is attached to the engine and the mounting surface is good and clean. The starter is grounded through the engine and if the engine is not properly grounded then the starter will not function properly

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
11 Apr 2013 10:02 #581781 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Battery no power?

baldy110 wrote: Make sure the grounding wire from the - side of the battery is attached to the engine and the mounting surface is good and clean. The starter is grounded through the engine and if the engine is not properly grounded then the starter will not function properly

I agree with Baldy and this is where I would go first. In fact I would check all your connections for cleanliness and tightness.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
11 Apr 2013 10:07 #581783 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Battery no power?
Does the new battery meet/exceed CCA specifications of the OEM battery.
Best to exceed cranking amps.... ;)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
11 Apr 2013 10:52 #581789 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Battery no power?
+1

Also, if as you imply, you try to start the bike from the battery starter you will probably fry your electrical system. A battery charger is not a substitute for a battery. Same with trying to start it from another vehicle that is running. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Apr 2013 12:55 #581983 by Kmalo86
Replied by Kmalo86 on topic Battery no power?
i bought new cables to replace the old battery ones hopefully getting to it this weekend if the weather holds up, the battery was what i connected the jump pack to so