• The_Proletariat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
26 Mar 2013 21:42 - 26 Mar 2013 21:43 #579001 by The_Proletariat
Spark Plug Resistor Caps necessary? was created by The_Proletariat
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...LD05F&item=TU38-1003

I could care less about RF interference. Are these necessary? If not, how do you attach an ignition wire to a spark plug with a threaded end?

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 21:43 by The_Proletariat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 22:05 #579007 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spark Plug Resistor Caps necessary?

The_Proletariat wrote: www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...LD05F&item=TU38-1003

I could care less about RF interference. Are these necessary? If not, how do you attach an ignition wire to a spark plug with a threaded end?

With regard to ignition performance (on Z1 and KZ900 and probably other Kaw fours), resistance isn't necessary in the secondary loop.

Non-resistor caps are also available, as are non-resistor plug wires with built-in non-resistor caps (such as Dyna solid core plug wires) listed at Z1E.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
27 Mar 2013 01:54 #579070 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Spark Plug Resistor Caps necessary?
:unsure: I need some help with this question as well...

My 82' KZ1100-A2 is currently set up with a Dynatek 2000 ignition, solid core wires/no resistor caps, but NGK BR8EIX (resistor) platinum/iridium (whatever) spark plugs.

Would it matter to the 2000 ignition system if it were a non-resistor plug as well? I wonder if the interference would adversely affect the electronics of the system? Or, would my engine performance increase instead???

It runs tanfastic the way it is now, so I may not want to change anything anyway. Just curious...

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
27 Mar 2013 02:07 - 27 Mar 2013 23:24 #579073 by Patton

daveo wrote: :unsure: I need some help with this question as well...

My 82' KZ1100-A2 is currently set up with a Dynatek 2000 ignition, solid core wires/no resistor caps, but NGK BR8EIX (resistor) platinum/iridium (whatever) spark plugs.

Would it matter to the 2000 ignition system if it were a non-resistor plug as well? I wonder if the interference would adversely affect the electronics of the system? Or, would my engine performance increase instead???

It runs tanfastic the way it is now, so I may not want to change anything anyway. Just curious...

If the Dynatech instructions don't specify the need for an R plug or a resistor cap or resistor wires, it's likely okay to run with zero resistance in the secondary loop, same as with points or Dyna-S.

When using resistance in the secondary loop, it's important that only ONE component be a resistor type. Either the wires OR the caps OR the plugs. More than one resistor component will degrade the spark.
For example, R plugs combined with resistor wires is a no-no.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 27 Mar 2013 23:24 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
27 Mar 2013 09:42 #579092 by daveo
Would there be a typical performance difference running with no resistance in the secondary loop?

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
27 Mar 2013 17:46 - 27 Mar 2013 17:47 #579137 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Spark Plug Resistor Caps necessary?
No. Use either resistor wires or resistor caps, don't run both at the same time. The amount of spark energy "lost" from the resistance is negligible.

IMHO: I would definitely use resistor on any ignition that has electronics or hall effect sensors which detect a very low level signal because the radiated EMI without resistor caps can screw things up. If it's just a standard coil/points ignition, won't hurt anything to run without resistance but will shoot noise into a radio if you have one on the bike.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Mar 2013 17:47 by bountyhunter.

More
27 Mar 2013 17:50 #579139 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Spark Plug Resistor Caps necessary?
Something like the Dyna 2000 uses digital electronics, so I agree, without specific direction from Dynatek, I would run resistors somewhere. I use resistor wires (they seem to be more reliable than resistor caps or resistor plugs, in my experience).

More
27 Mar 2013 19:08 #579149 by daveo
So I should feel comfortable with this set up? Had it out earlier today, and got my thrill back from winter hibernation. The machine is running totally awesome!

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
28 Mar 2013 00:40 #579200 by Patton
The earlier large Kaw fours with oem points ignitions were equipped with resistor spark plug caps on solid core plug wires and regular non-R NGKB8ES spark plugs.

Am guessing that Kawasaki fitted the oem resistor caps in order to reduce RFI (radio frequency interference), and not to improve raw engine performance.

Lots of us replaced the resistor caps with non-resistor caps, without impairing performance.

When Dyna-S became available, many switched over, and have continued running very satisfactorily for many years with no resistance in the secondary loop (me included).

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD