A couple ignition switch Questions

• Powerstroke_fan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2013 14:01 - 23 Mar 2013 14:14 #578323 by Powerstroke_fan
A couple ignition switch Questions was created by Powerstroke_fan
My igniton switch went out me last year. Fortunatly for me i have a hidden kill on the bike so i cut the wires on the switch and wired them together. that left me using the hidden kill switch. I had a buddy that gave me a used emgo kz 1000 switch. since mines a 80 ltd it has sligthly diffrent wiring. The switch he gave me dont have a yellow wire going to the switch. But my old oem one does. And the brown wire runs seperate ( out of the harness plug). The plug end looks the same but it has a locking tab that sticks out unlike my oem.

Attachment IMG_0412.JPG not found

So i was thinking i could just match the colors up at the plug end and tie the yellow in on the brown? Would that work to allow me to use the switch. I dont care about the park pos. working. Ive never used it anyway.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Mar 2013 14:14 by Powerstroke_fan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2013 14:43 #578327 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic A couple ignition switch Questions
It should, but test it before conecting it up to your bike. A multimeter set on "OHMS"(continuity)will determine if it's going to work correctly. If you're not familiar with using a multimeter, watch this:

The Best Mutimeter Tutorial

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
23 Mar 2013 16:27 #578338 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic A couple ignition switch Questions
I had to rewire the wires going into the new EMGO switch for my 750 twin. Nobody makes one that matches my old one. I just resoldered the wires on the switch itself which was easier than hacking into wires. If you have a schematic and a meter, you can figure out which switch terminals connect in which key position and then figure out which wires need to switch in thoat position. On mine, there were actually a couple of extra switch terminal sets on it since its a generic switch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin