Bike isn't charging

More
16 Mar 2013 12:39 #577200 by SeattleKZ
Replied by SeattleKZ on topic Bike isn't charging
Its been ion the charger since last night so I would say it should be able to run with the light on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
16 Mar 2013 12:45 - 16 Mar 2013 12:59 #577202 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Bike isn't charging

SeattleKZ wrote: Its been ion the charger since last night so I would say it should be able to run with the light on.

Can you ck batt with multi meter and see the volts.....

you would like 12.4 to 13.8 on high side....mine runs about 12.8 volts.

I set my multi meter on 20 VDC to ck battery and do right off battery posts.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2013 12:59 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
16 Mar 2013 12:48 #577203 by SeattleKZ
4TheKZ1000,
I'll check that too. I'll post back in a couple hours after I get a chance to check everything.

More
16 Mar 2013 19:23 #577248 by SeattleKZ
The stator checked out at 1.0 ohms
The battery accepted a charge and the bike starts and the lights work.
While the bike was running I checked the stator and it was putting out 50v at 4k rpm
How do I check the reg/rec?

More
16 Mar 2013 20:57 #577271 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Bike isn't charging
Motorcycle Battery Charging Problems

If the bike is running only on battery, as it operates, the battery will discharge and the voltage to the coils will become progressively less. Once the voltage starts getting poor, the plugs foul and you will pull into the driveway with a dim headlight and fouled plugs.

First thing to do is to quit assuming that everything you did or the parts you installed were good. I would FIRST check the battery for cells being sulfated. It is common for new bike owners to charge a little cheapo motorcycle battery with a charger intended for bigger batteries. If the battery charges initially too quick or with too high a voltage, it ruins the cells. Also, if a new battery is charged properly then sits for a year; being allowed to discharge, the cells can go bad.

CHECK EACH CELL - Buy a small and cheap hydrometer... looks like an eye dropper with colored balls. Put a small hose on the snout and draw in some battery from each cell in turn. If any of the balls fail to float, the cell is dying. If none float, the cell is totally dead. Once they start dying, you can be sure that they will be fully dead in short order. Battery bad? Replace and charge correctly. Battery good, go on...

Check your stator output. Take off the three wires coming off your stator that plug into the regulator and rectifier. With the bike running, check AC voltages between every pair of wires (three check). The AC voltages should be consistent at idle then at 4K rpm. Your shop manual should tell you how much voltage you should have. If you don't get the voltage or close to the voltage specified, replace your stator. If you do get in the ball park, go on....

Check wiring! OK... The three wires that come off the stator, clean the ends and lube with dielectric grease. If they go into a multi pin connector, disconnect and clean the pins and grease with dielectric grease. You can use electrical contact cleaner you can buy at Wal-Mart, an auto parts or a computer store. Clean the connectors coming off the regulator and rectifier bridge. There should be a white wire coming off the regulator... it should plug into a dual connector and one leg out will be to the hot terminal on your starter solenoid. The other will be to your main fuse in the fuse box. Clean the white wire or white/red wire connectors real good, dab with dielectric grease and make sure the connections are solid.

Last regulator check. Since you have lights, your rectifier bridge is turning AC to DC. The regulator controls the amount of DC being made. Get a multimeter. Put it in VDC scale in one of the lower ranges so it can measure 12VDC and put the probes on the battery terminals (POS TO POS and NEG TO NEG) with the bike running. At idle, you should see nominal 12.5VDC and at 4000 rpm you should see 14.5VDC. If you don't see 14.5VDC at 4K rpm, then either the connections to the regulator are not good... like the brown wire (sense wire) or the ground which is black or black/yellow or the regulator is bad. Replace and then recheck the voltages.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Mar 2013 21:49 #577607 by SeattleKZ
While checking to the regulator I discovered two things.

1. The multi meter I just bought doesn't work

2. The regulator smokes and gets so hot it will burn you if you touch it.

I'm gonna get e new multi meter and change the regulator and post the results.

More
05 Apr 2013 11:17 #580694 by SeattleKZ
I want to thank the members who told me how to check if my bike was charging when that's what I asked because I discovered that to be the problem. Just as I suspected. Instead of going through hours of checking everything I was able to go straight to the problem. I installed a new Reg/Rec combo unit from Oregon Cycle Parts and after some head scratching I got it installed correctly. The new Reg/Rec unit charges at idle at 14.5v and I checked it at 4k rpms and it was charging at 14.5v there too.
I went for a 80 mile ride and with the new VM30 carbs, electronic igntition and Reg/Rec unit the bike runs better than it ever did before and seems to be much quicker with better throttle response.
Thanks again to the members who answered my questions you were a great help.