77 kz750 electrical issues

More
08 Mar 2013 21:52 #576037 by dmangchock
77 kz750 electrical issues was created by dmangchock
Hey all, new guy here!

I bought a 77 KZ750 about 6 months back and i've just now started working on it and i've run into a major problem...or minor...dont know

I have a friend that builds custom bikes come over and help me with the wiring on my bike. We removed all the blinkers, indicator lights, really everything that wasnt the headlight and the tail light. I hooked my freshly charged battery up to the bike and tried to start it...nothing, wouldnt even turn over, however i think my battery is fried. I hooked the bike up to my charger and tried to start it up....whoooo it started and was idling, so i shut the charger off expecting the bike to run off its own power. It immediately died on me....okay so maybe i'll start it again and rev the engine and hope it cranks out a little more juice to keep it running....and its dead again. So the bike wont start or stay running on the battery alone, although the headlamp and tail light both come on with just the battery.

On the negative battery wire there is a little wire that is connected to it that i suspect may be a part of the problem. as soon as i hooked up the battery with the bike off this wire got HOT. I bought the battery brand new, charged it overnight and put it in the bike, left it off, went to play with the bike the next day and the battery was dead. no lights, nothing...dead. charged it again...same thing.

TL:DR Bike runs like a champ when on charger. Doesnt run on battery.

we read on a forum somewhere about stock rectifiers, and we arent sure if mine is stock or someone just threw it on there. Any input would be awesome, or maybe someone else had this same problem? any questions ask away and i'll try to answer them as best i can!

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2013 00:00 #576060 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 77 kz750 electrical issues
A lot of information about the Kawasaki Kz 750's here: kz.bike-night.com/ You should be able to find your particular bikes wiring diagram.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmangchock

More
09 Mar 2013 00:48 - 09 Mar 2013 00:48 #576071 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 77 kz750 electrical issues
Hello, dmangchock. and WELCOME to KZrider! :cheer:

Here's a link to the wiring diagram in KZr's FILEBASE (see ribbon at top of screen).

Click > wiring diagram

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 00:48 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmangchock