I need coil help.

More
06 Mar 2013 20:32 #575710 by westkykz
I need coil help. was created by westkykz
I'm a newbi here and a newbi to any electrical grimlen....1980 kz 750 ltd 4

It was a victom of a fall and banged up speedo & headlight. It was a chicken roost for 6 yrs I traded a saddle that got hung up under a colt that was ineed of work, now I have a cool bike.

Only one coil is working and both coils make the test light, light up when both termenals on both coils are touched.?

I'm lost and need internet help. also if I was sitting on bike which cylinders does the left coil fire and the right.

Thanks
phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 20:45 #575715 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic I need coil help.
Left coil fires one and four. Right coil two and three. Cylinders number left to right 1234.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
The following user(s) said Thank You: westkykz

More
06 Mar 2013 21:25 #575719 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic I need coil help.
I'd replace the sparkplug caps,as they age, and become intermittent. A 5000 ohm resistor is a non serviceable built in item, and can only be replaced with a new sparkplug cap.

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike). These should be checked with a multimeter now and then, as heat can cause them to become intermittent.

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be possibly three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Mar 2013 01:05 #576462 by westkykz
Replied by westkykz on topic I need coil help.
Thanks for the info. I had a couple wires crossed on the terminals. Both coils are getting good spark out at the plugs.

Any pictures out on the net of what all the choke stuff looks like in the center of the carb?

Thanks ya'll for the help.

Phillip

More
11 Mar 2013 10:36 #576494 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I need coil help.
For a free down-loadable service manual, click this link, and scroll down to "The Bible."

kz.bike-night.com/

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
13 Mar 2013 19:01 #576852 by westkykz
Thanks so much for the links and replies.

The bible was kinda dark in the picture area, so I ended up with a good color photo of the choke rod and spring in the zoom mode of ebay. some ole' boy ended up with good photo's of a set of carbs.

Now I used a good/clean tank off of a dirtbike and made a set up on work bench to fuel up carbs before installing.....good thing cause right two carbs are not getting any fuel?

Now what?

More
13 Mar 2013 20:37 #576853 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic I need coil help.
I'd remove the float bowls,looking for signs of crud blocking the needle valve for the floats. Alot of rust in the bikes tank? If so, read this:

Oxalic Acid Rust Removal On Gas Tanks(Found On the internet at www.wgcarbs.com )

Just ordered a few pounds of it this morning, it "should" remove the rust in my Kaw tank and it's great for removing rust on shop tools or whatever too.

Or Savogran wood bleach (Oxalic Acid), available at most hardware stores.

I used this stuff while I lived in Florida where the humidity usually averaged 100% and it saved me a lot of labor ... it's Eco friendly too. Our humidity here in Alabama is just about as bad as on the gulf coast ... so even if it won't completely clean the tank rust out ... and I truly believe it will ... I can make good use of it

Don't know why I didn't think about it sooner, mixes with tap water, flushes out easy, it won't harm paint, plastics, aluminum or anything of that nature ... just kills the rust and leaves the metal coated to help prevent future rusting.

The guy's name is Gregg and he has a ebay store but you can buy directly from him, send payment by check or paypal. I talked to him yesterday and told him there would probably be more folks from the forum inquiring about it. He said to have whoever calls or emails to remind him they're from the forum.

It sells for $4 a pound and he can fit 4 pounds into a flat rate priority mail package and ship it for $4.95. So 4 pounds should go along way since it can be used over and over again. $20.95 for 4 pounds shipped isn't bad at all in my opinion. The only way he's making any profit on it is by buying LARGE quantities and selling small.
I'm probably going to set up a large vat to soak tanks and tools in.
This stuff will eventually turn black after heavy use but it still cleans good and washes clean with tap water.
He claims he's had several people use it for cleaning rusty tanks with great results and I know I had good luck with it before too, just never used any on a tank ... but will soon.

Here's his info: Best to try his cell first.

Gregg MacEllven
Sea Shield Marine Products (sales rep)
Mac's Pacs; teak/mahog plugs, flax, oxalic, etc.
macspacs@sbcglobal.net
310-547-2687 (home)
310-547-2606 (fax)
310-721-9667 (cell)

Late yesterday afternoon I mixed up a batch and put it inside my original KZ tank.
The tank had what I would call a medium overall surface rust throughout the inside and a fairly heavy rust build up along the entire bottom surface.

The instructions suggest warm water but I talked with Gregg and he said it wouldn't really matter as long as I wasn't looking for INSTANT results and let it soak so I used unheated water from the hose and about 8 heaping tablespoons of Oxalic acid and let it soak for 24 hours.

I just drained the tank and the water was colored kind of a light brown, I flushed the tank with clean water twice and looked inside as far as I could see with a strong miniature LED flashlight and NO RUST was present ANYWHERE including the bottom surfaces.
The Oxalic acid left behind a off white colored protective coating on the metal surface just like Gregg said it would

Once I got the tank dry I saturated a shop rag with gas and rubbed the white coating with it and the coating stayed put.

But ... I will highly recommend you folks give this stuff a try because it sure takes the work out of removing rust from our gas tanks and it did not faze the paint either where I overfilled it.

This old tank will get repainted and used now that the rust is gone ... but for you folks that have internal surface rust on tanks that still have good paint on them, don't worry ... this is the ticket right here !

I can tell you right now that it works very well, the tanks I cleaned back in November have sat in my shop until I decided to tag & drive my 78 KZ a few days ago.

I looked at all 3 tanks & they still looked rust free inside other than a small haze which may be simply what the metal looks like after sitting so long after being treated. I thru a 1/2 gallon of gas in it, sloshed it around, poured it out, installed the tank with clear gas line & the fuel runs out CLEAN ... no rust deposit showing up in the filter either !

Oxalic acid WORKS better than anything I've ever tried in 30 years of wrenching. Use hot water, mix it up double or triple strength, fill the tank to the rim and let it sit overnight. If you don't get the results you want, do it again, this stuff is cheap and WILL clean the rust out of tanks without harming the paint even.

I kept several gallons of used mix in a large plastic container & constantly throw stuff in it like a set of rusted boat trailer wheels, impact sockets etc. & it cleans them like new, may take a while but it works.

Some tanks may require more acid to do the job but this stuff is cheap & easy to use, won't even burn the grass when poured out.

I did a Honda tank for a buddy that had some ridiculous rust along the inside bottom flat areas & top part of the hump. I tripled the recipe & let it sit a couple of days and it came out CLEAN.

Would rather NOT use a tank liner product that may or may not peel away ... oxolic axid won't hurt the paint either, so that's a huge plus.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Mar 2013 00:41 #576886 by westkykz
Thanks for the replies....

Man that tank deal sounds like a good thing, I sure will look into it and spread the word.

I found the rubber tip on float valve stuck/ripped off needle then put them on bike and tried a bottle tank set up (fail) it fell apart and I was still not getting fuel out the bowl... :unsure: ...I pulled a bone head move and when cleaning the bowls even with the drain screw out I never stuck anything in the hole so that was the cause :blush: could'a been getting gas the whole time.

good news...it runs...

my next question is does each terminal out of the coil have a cylinder it belongs to? like top wire on left coil to 1 cyl and bottom wire goes to 4 cly.???

this may have been told to me already... if so may i hear it again :)

More
14 Mar 2013 00:50 - 14 Mar 2013 00:52 #576889 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic I need coil help.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Mar 2013 00:52 by Patton.

More
14 Mar 2013 01:32 #576901 by westkykz