How can I hotwire this kz1100?

More
05 Mar 2013 12:28 #575437 by nivlac
How can I hotwire this kz1100? was created by nivlac
I picked up an 84 ZN100 last week with 18k showing on the speedo. I'm hoping to use the engine as I'm in the process of tearing down my daily driver. If I can start it and verify it's up to par I might use it for more than parts. My problem is the previous owner told me it had charging issues, this is an understatement at best. I'm seeing loose and cut wire throughout the wiring harness. I'm wondering how I could jump start this unit w/o damaging the starter unit or stator/ rotor assembly by making a poor judgement call on a connection. Electrical is my weak link in a very questionable chain of knowledge. Any help would be a plus.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2013 12:45 #575442 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How can I hotwire this kz1100?
However you choose to manage the wiring do NOT jump start it from a running vehicle or battery charger or you may cause damage. You can jump it from a car or truck battery as long as the car or truck is not running. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Mar 2013 13:06 #575446 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic How can I hotwire this kz1100?
I'm hoping to bypass the factory starting unit. The key doesn't turn and the starter button isn't operational.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

More
05 Mar 2013 13:58 #575459 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic How can I hotwire this kz1100?
I wouldn't even try to get it running. There are easier ways to tell if an engine is going to run without starting it. Do a compression check, look at the oil make sure it will turn over by hand, ect. If the wiring is all screwed up then how long has this bike been sitting. I would bet that it set with gas in the carbs and tank. By now that gas it going to be really nasty and has clogged everythingup. By trying to start the engine you probably are going to do more harm than anything else.

More
05 Mar 2013 20:41 #575510 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic How can I hotwire this kz1100?

baldy110 wrote: I wouldn't even try to get it running. There are easier ways to tell if an engine is going to run without starting it. Do a compression check, look at the oil make sure it will turn over by hand, ect. If the wiring is all screwed up then how long has this bike been sitting. I would bet that it set with gas in the carbs and tank. By now that gas it going to be really nasty and has clogged everythingup. By trying to start the engine you probably are going to do more harm than anything else.

No I am sure the bike will not start. I would like to run a compression test on the unit however. I don't know a way to crank the bike. I'm sure the carbs are shot as is the fuel tank. However the engine itself is a different story. If it is holding compression then it may be worth while to do a temporary swap. I just need to know how to turn it over fast enough for a compression test. Savvy?

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

More
07 Mar 2013 13:20 #575800 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic How can I hotwire this kz1100?
Take a good cordless drill, an adapter for the drill to fit a 17mm socket on the end. Take the points cover off the bike and then remove the sparkplugs. Place the 17mm socket over the large 17mm nut and turn engine over clockwise with the drill. That will let you know if you have compression. Easy way to know if you have enough compression to run an engine is to plug the sparkplug hole with your finger and if there is enough compression to blow your finger off then you have enough to run.

More
07 Mar 2013 16:06 #575811 by steell
Replied by steell on topic How can I hotwire this kz1100?
There is a starter solenoid (Under left cover maybe) that has a cable going to the starter. Using a car battery and a set of jumper cables, clamp the negative cable to a bare place on the motor, touch the positive clamp to the terminal of the solenoid that the starter cable is on. Motor should spin over.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman