KZ1000 Ignition Coils

More
17 Feb 2013 13:10 #572873 by MtStateMike
KZ1000 Ignition Coils was created by MtStateMike
While redoing the bike this winter, i removed the coils to pull the valve cover and found that one of coils has the plug wire melted inside it. So I need to replace at least one of them. I checked BikeBandit and found Coil Ignition #1 for $82.80 and Coil Ignition #2 for $129.16. I then look on ebay and found a replacement Coil Ignition for $43.40, which it says that it replaces Ignition Coil 21121, but does not say anything about the 21121A that is coil #2. Will this work for both or do I have to find another coil?

92 KZ1000p
Lumberport, WV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
17 Feb 2013 14:01 #572877 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
I need fresh coils some day and I'm pretty sure that these are the ones for me.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...9+DC1-1&item=DYDC1-1

Not sure about your 1000 though, someone will be along shortly to correct me :huh:

Z1E has a bunch for sale ( wires sold separately )

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
18 Feb 2013 14:25 - 18 Feb 2013 14:27 #573022 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
Yes those will work and you will be happy with them. On all my vintage bikes I work on I replace the stock coils with those, even if I have no problem with the stock ones. I don't trust 30 year old electronics exposed to vibration and heat.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 14:27 by baldy110.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

More
18 Feb 2013 15:57 #573032 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
Even when new, the stock coils were marginal, add years of under the tank heat and vibration, and now they have become unpredicable in their use.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Feb 2013 16:11 #573036 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
Weve been overrun by sales reps from dyna! :woohoo:
If you have access to a multi meter check the resistance on the coils like it shows in the manual,If one is questionable change them both out. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
18 Feb 2013 18:19 - 18 Feb 2013 18:23 #573053 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
Agree that 30 year old coils need to get punted. Fastest way to kill any electronic device is heat, vibration and high voltage. The "coil" has the trifecta of early death.

I have been running this one for about five years, works great, comes with wires and only costs $36. It's a four Ohm coil but could be used in place of a three Ohm. If there is any difference in performance it will probably be microscopic.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 18:23 by bountyhunter.

More
18 Feb 2013 22:52 #573095 by MtStateMike
Replied by MtStateMike on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
Yeah, I think I am going to go ahead and order the Dyna Coils from z1. I always thought last year that my bike wasn't running the best it could. Now looking at the one coil may explain what I was feeling.

92 KZ1000p
Lumberport, WV

More
19 Feb 2013 00:18 #573111 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ1000 Ignition Coils
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike). These should be checked with a multimeter now and then, as heat can cause them to become intermittent.

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be possibly three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)