Dyna S kz650 timing Troubles

More
12 Feb 2013 05:12 - 12 Feb 2013 08:23 #572049 by NickMac
Dyna S kz650 timing Troubles was created by NickMac
UPDATE: I found a fuse i installed as a secondary kill point to be faulty. Upon replacement I have static timed the 1-4 side of the advancer, but now when i check the 2-3 side the test light stays on at all crank positions.

So i just rebuild the wiring harness on my '77 kz650b following LOUDHVX's diagrams (Thanks!).
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/172746-19...=20&start=280#566537

Now I installed my new Dyna S per the instructions provided and OMR's dyna S pdf (thanks!). However, when ignition is ON i can spin the crank completely without any light from a test bulb or any reading on my multimeter. I rechecked my wiring and everything appears to be correct.

My question(s) are:

1) when checking static timing should i disconnect the 1-4 wire from the dyna so it is only feeding into the test light?

2) is there any way to check the dyna modules for damage/defect?

thanks!
-Nick
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 08:23 by NickMac.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2013 06:53 #572051 by pig9r
Replied by pig9r on topic Dyna S kz650 timing Troubles
The wire should stay connected. Make sure your test light is touching the connectors and test to make sure the ground is good and your light is good.

Read over these:

www.powercommander.com/downloads/Support...Manuals/DynaSTSG.pdf

www.powercommander.com/downloads/Support...anuals/DS2-1_2-2.pdf

More
12 Feb 2013 07:04 - 12 Feb 2013 07:06 #572052 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Dyna S kz650 timing Troubles
No, need the 12Vdc through the coil into the white/black conductors for static timing you'll want everything connected for accuracies.

Let's start with insuring a couple of things are correctly configured.

NOTE: Insure through resistance/continuity testing with your DVM/volt meter the engine case and frame is at ground potential in reference to battery ground......

Place DVM black ground probe on Dyna Plate, place red probe on battery (-) terminal, should measure ~ 0 ohm / pending your meter, deviation roughly .02 ohms resistance thus continuity. Measurements higher than this indicates your Dyna ignition plate is not ideally grounded to battery ground potential.

Test your 12Vdc light. Ground clip lead to battery (-). Touch probe tip to battery (+), should light up, all good...?

1) DVM/volt meter for 12Vdc (battery dc voltage) measurement on the RED conductor feed into the Dyna plate.
Ignition switched to on, 12Vdc on red conductor feed into Dyna plate...?

NOTE: Don't leave the 12Vdc switched on for extended periods of time while static testing...
Test then switch ignition off!

2) 12Vdc light grounded to engine case/frame/battery (-).
on either White or black conductor, still no light when rotating to TDC, comes on...?

3) Magnet on advancer correctly installed (1/4) where magnet rotates to pick faces...?

If all above good then possible bad Dyna, unlikely but possible...
Go through these and you'll possibly find the issue... ;)

Good luck, OMR...

Dynatek factory testing of ignition plate....

Attachment DynaSBenchTest.JPG not found

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 07:06 by Old Man Rock.

More
12 Feb 2013 08:28 - 12 Feb 2013 08:30 #572056 by NickMac
Replied by NickMac on topic Dyna S kz650 timing Troubles
Update on the saga above in first post. Thanks for the the post OMR i think i will try the factory test for the right module (2-3cylinders).

Any input is greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Nick

Old Man Rock wrote: No, need the 12Vdc through the coil into the white/black conductors for static timing you'll want everything connected for accuracies.

Let's start with insuring a couple of things are correctly configured.

NOTE: Insure through resistance/continuity testing with your DVM/volt meter the engine case and frame is at ground potential in reference to battery ground......

Place DVM black ground probe on Dyna Plate, place red probe on battery (-) terminal, should measure ~ 0 ohm / pending your meter, deviation roughly .02 ohms resistance thus continuity. Measurements higher than this indicates your Dyna ignition plate is not ideally grounded to battery ground potential.

Test your 12Vdc light. Ground clip lead to battery (-). Touch probe tip to battery (+), should light up, all good...?

1) DVM/volt meter for 12Vdc (battery dc voltage) measurement on the RED conductor feed into the Dyna plate.
Ignition switched to on, 12Vdc on red conductor feed into Dyna plate...?

NOTE: Don't leave the 12Vdc switched on for extended periods of time while static testing...
Test then switch ignition off!

2) 12Vdc light grounded to engine case/frame/battery (-).
on either White or black conductor, still no light when rotating to TDC, comes on...?

3) Magnet on advancer correctly installed (1/4) where magnet rotates to pick faces...?

If all above good then possible bad Dyna, unlikely but possible...
Go through these and you'll possibly find the issue... ;)

Good luck, OMR...

Dynatek factory testing of ignition plate....

Attachment DynaSBenchTest.JPG not found

Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 08:30 by NickMac.