Sparking Starter

More
01 Feb 2013 17:33 #570261 by Spectre1982
Sparking Starter was created by Spectre1982
I noticed when I'm starting my bike, there's a small spark down where the wire connects to the post on the starter motor. I checked my wire and connector and it's pretty fried up on the starter end. What could be causing this? Should I do a more thorough check on the wiring?

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2013 18:01 #570265 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Sparking Starter
Possiby the insulation is breaking down where the post comes out of the starter. I'd look carefully at it, insuring the electrical connection is tight.

If you think the starter is going bad, think about upgrading the starter motor, read this:

Using A Honda Starter In A Kawasaki

Buda from the www.kzrider.com forum wrote:

Will not turn the engine over....10.25 10 1 comp 1170 cc......took starter out and ran it with a battery....the starter spins strong but starts to squeal after a second.....also the shaft has a lot of play side to side. Bad starter I’m guessing What do you guys think?

Took the starter apart.....the bushing on the drive end is cracked

MFolks Wrote:
For a stronger starter motor, read this:

Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. This owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

Buda Wrote:
Thanks MFolks, Just ordered the rebuild kit before I read your post....If that doesn't work out I'll give the Honda starter a shot.

Got a the Honda starter MFolks recommended (SM 220 12 volt 0.8 KW) on ebay...hell of a difference.....Turns over like the plugs are missing....I'm sure the new battery doesn't hurt, but its a hell of a difference.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Feb 2013 18:21 #570271 by Spectre1982
Replied by Spectre1982 on topic Sparking Starter
That's a good idea. My bike always turns over pretty slow. It could do with an upgrade.

I'll check the insulation on the starter motor post too in the meantime. Thanks!!

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)