Electronic tachometer

More
29 Jan 2013 13:25 #569752 by Mk2Rookie
Electronic tachometer was created by Mk2Rookie
Hello! I'm rewiring my '83 KZ1000 and i'm using a aftermarket tacho but i'm nit sure about the wiring. The instructions says connect green wire to the negative side of the coil, but just one of the coils or both? And how does it work?

Thank you! Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2013 13:41 #569755 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Electronic tachometer
On your coils there will be a wire that is the same color on both coils. This wire is the 12 volts used to power up the coils. The other wire is going to be a different color on both coils. That is the wire you want to hook the tach lead to. It doesn't matter which coil you attach it to just as long as it is not attached to the 12 volt signal wire.
However your 83 should have come with an electronic tach from Kawasaki. That tach wire should be under the headlight bucket and is black. Most likely one of your coil wires is going to be black also. That is the wire the factory tapped into the tach signal for the stock tach. If you find it under the buckt just plug your new tach signal lead to that one.

More
29 Jan 2013 15:01 #569773 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic Electronic tachometer
It is a new wiring harness i'm making myself, that's why i don't see how it was done from the factory and i can't find my manual for some reason. So the ignition plate grounds each coil for them to lead, i had that all backwards in my head! So one of the negative's go to the tacho AND the ignition plate in a double point correct? Thank you very much for a quick reply!

Simon

More
29 Jan 2013 16:25 #569783 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Electronic tachometer

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Jan 2013 23:40 #570032 by MtStateMike
Replied by MtStateMike on topic Electronic tachometer
I am doing the same thing on my 92 KZ1000p. My diagram shows that power should come from Brown that leads to power for front brake, oil pressure indicator light, etc. One wire goes to your main ground and the other should run to your black wire coming off your coils to the ignitor. At least that is what mine shows. Good luck.

92 KZ1000p
Lumberport, WV