Front running lights

More
22 Jan 2013 00:37 #568586 by Kawboy74
Front running lights was created by Kawboy74
In the interest of safety I have converted my front signals on'74 Z1 to dual filament bulbs with an inexpensive plug conversion kit. For some reason this past summer I lost my low beam at dusk and after changing over to high beam until I got to an auto parts outlet, it went on me about a half hour later leaving me with no lights at the front end , only taillights and brake. I have a reg/rect combo unit that I installed (from Z1 Ent.)with the rebuild to avoid charging issues as well as a complete new harness. My question is this; there is a brown double ended connector doing nothing in my headlight bucket that from my factory wiring diagram looks to be a switched power lead that I could use for the running side of the bulb. Diagram shows a std. bulb to be 23 watts for signals and I found a 1034 bulb that is marked 12V23/ 8F . Not being an electrical genius, does the lettering refer to 23 watts as the flasher with 8 watts as the running lights or the other way around? I would think you would want 8 watts to be the running lights with 23 watts for flashing which would override the brightness when signalling! It is easy to figure out which lug is the brighter one on the bulb and then I can orient the wiring in the headlight accordingly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2013 00:47 - 22 Jan 2013 20:03 #568589 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Front running lights
Yeah David, buy yourself a KZ650 as most of them came with front running lights.
;)
I wired my rears to stay on too some years back, but lost that when I switched signals over the years.

Not really sure on your question, but I do believe your right.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 20:03 by rstnick.

More
22 Jan 2013 00:53 #568592 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic Front running lights
Yea Rick, a 650 would be easier but garage is getting kind of full now and dollars are accounted for as you know.
Can't wait til spring to hook up down at Leslie St. again with all the vagrants.
David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
22 Jan 2013 20:02 #568704 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Front running lights
Yes, looking forward to riding season again.
I hear you on space and money.
Just bought another 650, which gives me 4.

Oh, and it's Rob.
;)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
23 Jan 2013 00:56 #568762 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Front running lights

Kawboy74 wrote: In the interest of safety I have converted my front signals on'74 Z1 to dual filament bulbs with an inexpensive plug conversion kit. For some reason this past summer I lost my low beam at dusk and after changing over to high beam until I got to an auto parts outlet, it went on me about a half hour later leaving me with no lights at the front end , only taillights and brake. I have a reg/rect combo unit that I installed (from Z1 Ent.)with the rebuild to avoid charging issues as well as a complete new harness. My question is this; there is a brown double ended connector doing nothing in my headlight bucket that from my factory wiring diagram looks to be a switched power lead that I could use for the running side of the bulb. Diagram shows a std. bulb to be 23 watts for signals and I found a 1034 bulb that is marked 12V23/ 8F . Not being an electrical genius, does the lettering refer to 23 watts as the flasher with 8 watts as the running lights or the other way around?

23W for the flasher, 8W for the running light.

Kawboy74 wrote: It is easy to figure out which lug is the brighter one on the bulb and then I can orient the wiring in the headlight accordingly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

If you have a decent Ohm meter that can measure under 10 Ohms, the higher watt filament is the lower Ohms.

1979 KZ-750 Twin