• Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna Coil installation 01 Nov 2005 07:05 #5869

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Geesh... Can we get another pic of those green coils? bwhahaha

Here is install instructions:

1. remove power and signal wire from stock coil.
2. remove plug wires.
3. unbolt stock coils and remove them
4. bolt in Dyna coils (wire lugs to front of bike)
5. connect power and signal wires (doesn't matter which lug)

Ride away...

The Accel coils have mounts that are NOT the same width as the stock mount holes. The easiest way to mount them is to use one stock mount bolt and then find a LONGER bolt to mount on the other side. It will be in a bit slanted but will hold the coil fine and you won't need to fab a bracket. I have both types of coils on my bikes and the Dyna coils are easier to mount. I don't have pictures of my coils hehehehehe
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna Coil installation 01 Nov 2005 07:34 #5878

• waterman
  • waterman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
And thanks for your "input" too, wiredgeorge. Also helpful, if not as illustrative.

Dyna Coil installation 01 Nov 2005 12:02 #5937

• luvmykaw
  • Visitor
Very cool to have pics about the electrical stuff. I need two people to help me screw in a light bulb! Anyone have a pic of the mysterious "ballast resisters"? A pic showing their location/application would be greatly appreciated. Don't you have to use these or the stock points will fry up with new 3.0 OHM Dyna coils?

Dyna Coil installation 01 Nov 2005 12:16 #5943

• cudaosix
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
luvmykaw wrote:

Very cool to have pics about the electrical stuff. I need two people to help me screw in a light bulb! Anyone have a pic of the mysterious "ballast resisters"? A pic showing their location/application would be greatly appreciated. Don't you have to use these or the stock points will fry up with new 3.0 OHM Dyna coils?

From what I've read on here while doing a search, The resistor was used in the early elec. ignition, Which is what I currently have and works fine with the coils sofar. I think as early as 77 the elec. ign was being used but I might be wrong. I also remember reading something about faster point wear when useing the 3ohm coils. I dont think the point ign had a ballast resistor. Mine was located under the coils.

Post edited by: cudaosix, at: 2005/11/01 15:16

Dyna Coil installation 02 Nov 2005 06:08 #6067

• waterman
  • waterman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So, lets get back to that "resistor to bypass" thing. Wiredgeorge, I don't see that in your directions-is that an issue for the 82'or is that something that was not an issue by that time?

Dyna Coil installation 02 Nov 2005 07:44 #6085

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Rick, I assumed you bought the correct coils for installation with your igniter type ignition system since you talked with Dyna support. The igniter system has a ballast resistor mounted across the frame in the front by the horn which balances the impedences. If you don't use the stock ballast resistor, Dyna tech support will tell you that you may need one but they can't tell you where to buy one. Apparently these were once common items in an autoparts store (used on cars) but are no longer readily available. The ballast resistor from a Kaw electronic igntion is about 4 inches long and is a whitish chunk of plastic with some electronic stuff mounted in it.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: