Definatly Have Charging System Issues

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Nov 2012 20:42 #558529 by johnjones750csr
Definatly Have Charging System Issues was created by johnjones750csr
Well, I discovered today that the charging system on my 750 is not working up to par. It's working now at least after letting the bike run for a while jumped to a car battery, it actually ran all by itself with no battery hooked up for a little while, just not well. I'm going to dig into the wiring and alternator tomorrow, I"m sure underneith that cover is just nasty and I probably have a ton of cleaning up to do to get it back working how it's supposed to be.

The only other issue that I'm having is I had the rubber pipes off of the carbs when I started it today, the ones that connect to the airbox and the bike just didn't want to rev at all, with any more than a tiny bit of throttle it just bogged, I figured it was getting WAY too much air through the carbs without the airbox hooked up, I"ll get it hooked back up tomorrow and try it again after I dig into the charging system..

So far, things are looking better and better

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2012 21:03 #558533 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Definatly Have Charging System Issues
The Kawasaki Service Manual will have a complete test procedure for the charging system. If you have a copy or can get an electronic copy be sure to take a look. I had a charging problem on my KZ650 this summer and using the manual I was able to very quickly identify a faulty rectifier - simple fix. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Nov 2012 22:11 #558550 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Definatly Have Charging System Issues
Running with NO Battery Connected, not good. Don't do that. Especially on these late model cars. Battery is your power supply. The Charging system is there to replace voltage/ current used out of the battery. Keeping the battery charged, a maintainer more than a charger. If you have a low battery you need a Battery Charger first, to bring it up to Full Charge. If the battery is good, that is.
Running disconnected like that can damaged the electrical.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Nov 2012 23:17 #558573 by johnjones750csr
Replied by johnjones750csr on topic Definatly Have Charging System Issues
It was more of a test to make sure that the system was actually putting out power, becasue at first it wasn't.

More
16 Nov 2012 01:06 - 16 Nov 2012 01:07 #558587 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Definatly Have Charging System Issues

Motor Head wrote: Running with NO Battery Connected, not good. Don't do that.//Running disconnected like that can damaged the electrical.

AMEN My battery conked five miles from home with an open cell (effectively like no battery) so I kicked it over and rode it... about a mile. The battery acts as a giant capacitor to filter the output of the alternator. Without it, the electrical system gets hit with all kinds of high peak voltage transients. Took out my electronic ignition, headlight, tail light, instrument lamp bulbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Nov 2012 01:07 by bountyhunter.