Is this supposed to happen...

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Nov 2012 18:35 #558352 by johnjones750csr
Is this supposed to happen... was created by johnjones750csr
Today I finally got a key made for my 82 750 twin that I still have no idea whether it's gonna run again or not, it's been sitting for a long long time and who knows.....Still need to go get a new battery for it. So, I turned on the key, while the thing was on a battery charger getting a tiny bit of juice in the battery (not enough to even barely turn it over), and all of the lights came on except the headlight. Is this supposed to happen? I thought that the side orange lights were blinkers? They aren't blinking either. I think I've got some kind of electrical gremlins that I need to sort out.

Can someone give me some insight here as to what to check etc.

Thanks,

John Jones
1982 750 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2012 19:13 #558357 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Is this supposed to happen...
You shouldn't charge the battery with it hooked up the the bike; you can damage the electrical system. Same is true if you try to jump start the bike from a car with the car's engine running. I suggest you get a new battery before continuing. When you do, charge the new battery with a VERY low amperage charger - less than 2 amps. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Nov 2012 22:40 #558393 by johnjones750csr
Replied by johnjones750csr on topic Is this supposed to happen...
ok, I took the battery out.

I got the headlight working, I found the fuses finally, I knew they were somewhere, but I didn't know where, I found them and the headlight fuse wasn't blown, but the cap had came unglued and the fuse was ruined. I changed it and all is well so far. One step at a time lol

John Jones.

More
14 Nov 2012 23:10 #558403 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Is this supposed to happen...

johnjones750csr wrote: ok, I took the battery out.

I got the headlight working, I found the fuses finally, I knew they were somewhere, but I didn't know where, I found them and the headlight fuse wasn't blown, but the cap had came unglued and the fuse was ruined. I changed it and all is well so far. One step at a time lol

John Jones.

Good find! You probably should replace the other fuses too. When they get old the caps loosen, so replacing them reduces the risk of them leaving you high & dry. I had the same problem a while back. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
14 Nov 2012 23:44 #558409 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic Is this supposed to happen...
The front blinkers on my bike are dual filament, meaning they operate as running lights as well. Maybe yours are too?

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
15 Nov 2012 00:56 #558418 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Is this supposed to happen...
Most, if not all 80's Kawasaki's have a dual light bulb filiment, for front running/turn signal lights. The rear ones only have a single filiment for the turn signals.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Nov 2012 07:25 #558443 by johnjones750csr
Replied by johnjones750csr on topic Is this supposed to happen...
I assume the rear tail light is supposed to be on all the time as well? It is dual filament as well. Question, what is teh little tiny red rocker switch for next to the high beam switch? It doesn't appear to do anything.

Good news everyone! It started this morning, for the first time in who knows how many years. It ran for a good 5 minutes before it just died and wouldn't restart, now I gotta figure that one out, but at least I know it will run!

JohnJones