More charging problems...yay..

More
13 Nov 2012 22:12 #558252 by kcornell6
More charging problems...yay.. was created by kcornell6
Hey all,

I've been dealing with this problem in the shop on n off for about a month now. Just a heads up the wiring is not stock and is more simplified. Started with my battery getting over cooked on the road. I never had any problems before then (1500ish miles) with the new wiring. I take it back to the shop, manage to blow all the lights but no fuses. (of course! :angry: ) Obviously it sounds like a R/R problem, so I buy another R/R from a kind gent on here. Ends up that the new units doesn't solve the problem and the stator tests fine with no shorts and/or good resistance between yellow wires.

After some troubleshooting, both R/R's bench tests went well. I unhooked the main wire I have supplying power to the starter button in the right handlebar housing and actually made things better; but still not where they should be. With the new battery it rests at 12.6v, idles at 17v with the R/R attached, 12.5 w/o R/R. If I press on the brake pedal with a new light installed while running, the reading drops about 4v to 12.7 while idling, and the idle climbs slightly. When not running, and I press the brake switch the reading drops only .1v

I'm just trying to figure out what is going on now. I'm almost tempted to just run it with the brake light switch on the whole time to prevent boiling the battery. Does this sound like short somewhere or extra voltage somehow getting through the R/R?? Little stumped and wondering what the guros have to say.

V/R

Kev

96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Nov 2012 23:29 #558263 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic More charging problems...yay..
Can you go into some detail, what bike/ Motor/ Year etc. Is this a Kawasaki System? 5 or 6 wire R/R?
If 6 wire R/R from Kaw, then do you have a Brown wire on the R/R hooked to a Key On switched 12v source that is nearly the same as battery voltage? This would be my "Overcharging" Guess. This sense wire needs to see Batt Voltage to have the Regulator work correctly.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 Nov 2012 00:35 - 14 Nov 2012 00:37 #558271 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic More charging problems...yay..
When you "simplified" the wiring did the stuff you remove include anything that look like what's in the pic below? Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-11-13.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Nov 2012 00:37 by 650ed.

More
14 Nov 2012 00:57 #558273 by kcornell6
Replied by kcornell6 on topic More charging problems...yay..

Motor Head wrote: Can you go into some detail, what bike/ Motor/ Year etc. Is this a Kawasaki System? 5 or 6 wire R/R?
If 6 wire R/R from Kaw, then do you have a Brown wire on the R/R hooked to a Key On switched 12v source that is nearly the same as battery voltage? This would be my "Overcharging" Guess. This sense wire needs to see Batt Voltage to have the Regulator work correctly.

It's the 96 KZ1000P with 6 wire system R/R. I have the brown wire spliced into the w/r wire which goes to a fuse and obviously battery.

Ed- I don't recall seeing this specific piece. I took out the rats next more then half a year ago, and I'm quite sure I don't have it on the ride still.

96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 Nov 2012 01:20 #558276 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic More charging problems...yay..
Brown going straight to Red/ White, back to battery with No Switch would probably cause a draw on the battery when not running.
Are you sure this connection is working? This is the sense wire for the R/R. Also the excess voltage must Shunt back to ground on the Black/ Yellow. Good clean connection here?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
14 Nov 2012 13:28 #558321 by kcornell6
Replied by kcornell6 on topic More charging problems...yay..
Yes sir, it's working as far as I know. Worked well for the couple of months I was on the road.

And there's no resistance between the ground wire from the R/R to any metal piece on the frame.

V/R

Kev

96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L