Some questions about the run switch

• antoniobanderas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Nov 2012 22:40 #557697 by antoniobanderas
Some questions about the run switch was created by antoniobanderas
Hey guys, A couple weeks ago I got a 1980 kz550 and used a lot of information off this website tpo get it running right. The first day I rode it the battery wasn't charging, after I pushed the bike home sure enough the 3 yellow wires were disconnected.

The bike had the blinkers knocked off and there were just exposed wires, so when the bike was down I pulled out all those wires. Now the bike will not turn over, I don't know if the starter button switch was somehow run with the blinkers. I have been trying to make sense of the wiring diagram and cant grasp it.

What I can do however is rewire the starter circuit and leave the original starting circuit connected as well so i don't screw up anything else. But the run switch still concerns me if it interferes with the power to the ignition coil.

Also, i pulled the wires out of the run switch and connected them together. Are they supposed to be connected to run or apart?

Thank you if anyone can help.

1980 550
Work in Progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2012 23:03 #557703 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Some questions about the run switch
Do you have a wiring diagram? If not, go to this website, and look at the upper right hand corner for "Filebase" It should have your bike's diagram in it.

If no luck, try these websites:

Manuals (Some of these websites sell used manuals, just ask)
www.repairmanual.com
www.manualsnmore.com
www.midwestmanuals.com/
www.books4cars.com/
www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
moto-manuals.com/
www.e-classicbike.com/
www.manualedereparatie.info/en/categorii/kawasaki.html
Haynes, Clymer, and Chilton all make shop manuals, but the Kawasaki ones have more information.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
10 Nov 2012 13:09 #557760 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Some questions about the run switch
In my signature there is a link to manuals, and a bunch of wiring diagrams for the 550.

More
10 Nov 2012 13:30 #557766 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Some questions about the run switch

antoniobanderas wrote: .....

Also, i pulled the wires out of the run switch and connected them together. Are they supposed to be connected to run or apart? .

Why would you do that? :unsure:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• antoniobanderas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 14:08 #557775 by antoniobanderas
Replied by antoniobanderas on topic Some questions about the run switch
Well, after I pulled the blinkers out the bike wasnt starting. I felt those wires and they felt loose so i pulled them and connected them as a temporary test to see if the bike would start. I also put on painted handlebars so maybe the run switch is grounded through the bars. Thanks for the info guys im gonna try to get it working again today.

1980 550
Work in Progress

More
10 Nov 2012 16:26 #557788 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Some questions about the run switch
On the 550's, I think the only thing that grounds to the bars is the horn switch.

The kill switch wires are closed to run, open to kill. They provide power to the start circuit, and the ignition circuit.

I've run across them mis-wired, sometimes. In that case you can crank the starter, but there will be no ignition.

• antoniobanderas
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Nov 2012 22:52 #557817 by antoniobanderas
Replied by antoniobanderas on topic Some questions about the run switch
I ended up just wiring the ignition and starter circuits seperate from the ignition switch. Runs like a charm. And now has new wires and terminals. I just feel sorry for the next guy who owns this bike.

1980 550
Work in Progress