• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
01 Nov 2012 21:17 #556723 by peavylotus
1980 KZ1000 B4 Dyna-S ignition 1015cc Stock

So the ohm reading on all three stator wires jumped around 3 ohms

The ohm reading between the Ground (Black/Yellow) and the Brown wire off the reg/rec has 0ohm and the same 0 between the White/Red wire and Black/Yellow.

The running voltage went when I first started the bike; in one second increments at choke idle....12v 11v 10v 9.9v 9.8v 9.6v 9.5v 9.2v 9v then I shut it off. Started it again and I revved it up and the voltage was between 12.1 - 12.8 held consistently floating an through the rev ranges. I know it is supposed to be +-14.5 on all rev ranges to actually charge the battery...

I then ran out of gas. haha

Does this most definitely sound like a bad reg/rec?

My first mistake is I had the coils, lights as well as the White/Red and Brown wires off the regulator to the positive terminal. My new battery started dying and would cut out over idle speeds when tapped out.

I re-wired it last night so the brown wire is connected in-line withe the coils and lights. Neither wires going straight to the battery. This seemed to help.

When I unhooked the Ground wire coming from the REG/REC going to the Negative terminal on the battery, the lights dimmed and it started stumbling until hooked back up. then it was back to normal. So I know it is maintaining enough voltage.

I haven't had any problems since last night but I got a multimeter from Bioengineering class and went to town in the college parking lot haha.

Those numbers seem low on the reg rec and I think I did damage when I had it hooked up wrong.

Confirmation?

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Nov 2012 21:30 #556724 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Charging system voltages, I got some numbers
I would check the Yellow wires from the stator, separate from the R/R. Unhook and test each combination of the 3 for ACV. You should get 56 ACV. That will tell you the stator should be OK. Then if the Red/ white has a good connection to Battery + and the Black/ yellow has a good connection to Battery-, Brown to a switched on with key as close to battery voltage level as possible connection. It should charge, if not suspect the R/R. Service manuals have the testing for the R/R. The one in my signature will have it.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
01 Nov 2012 21:38 #556726 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Charging system voltages, I got some numbers
Thanks man, I forgot to check the stator while running. I am going to buy a multimeter this weekend (have no idea where mine ended up) all connections are very good and fresh from last night. Ima look through that manual...

I think I fried my internal regulator. Also could be the battery I guess, had two Deep Cycles among the problems I was having. Charged all night last night so Ill look into that as well.

More
02 Nov 2012 00:58 #556749 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Charging system voltages, I got some numbers
Are you checking directly on the battery terminals? If so your battery is bad for sure, as no way a malfunction charge system will drop battery voltage to 9v that quick while running. 12.8v may be ok with that battery being bad. I will assume you are not using the electric starter to start?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
02 Nov 2012 02:42 #556762 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic Charging system voltages, I got some numbers
Yeah just the kick start. I cant rule out the battery being bad, the first deep cycle was because I forgot to hook up the stator plug to the rectifier during a ride. It fizzled out then ran after I let it sit and build enough voltage to start then the charging system let it run. When I started it back up It only ran for 10 minutes cause I wasn't far from school when I shut her back down. So there is no way it was able to fully recharge.

I wouldnt rule out a bad battery now that I think about it.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2012 22:58 #557066 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Charging system voltages, I got some numbers
I know a guy that has a z1(kz1000)kz900 1977) with a 1000cc motor on a 900 frame, he had to replace his whole charging system. first off the wires coming out of his engine from the stator were all bare. he had to get the rectifier replaced also. Prior to all of this work he put 2 batteries in there and one after. very spendy.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2012 22:42 #558394 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Charging system voltages, I got some numbers
I cleaned up my ground wire(I know this is not about me, but I am saying it anyways) with a good stiff wire brush. most of the time when i use those i end up stabbing my hands with a wire once or twice, it was so cold I didn't even draw blood(huh?). I put my gloved hand to the motor while driving it to see if it was hot and i got zapped. now the plugs seem fouled and i don't want to mess with it it is too cold. I left at ten after three and got back at fourty after four with a a jacket, a sweatshirt, a t-shirt, and jeans. brrr, Washington weather :( .