1977 kz400 stator problems?

More
28 Oct 2012 00:23 - 30 Oct 2012 15:09 #556067 by jona barish
1977 kz400 stator problems? was created by jona barish
Nightmare.
I took my bike out for its first ride and it completely shut down on me about 30 minutes in. Engine and electrical both died at the same time. The battery was brand new!

Took the battery to a mechanic just to make sure it hadn't died and he said that I probably needed a new stator. I'm looking at the prices for a replacement and some are $400+ while others are $75. I don't quite understand the price discrepancy... What's my most affordable option? Can I get an aftermarket stator that's compatible with the 77 kz400, or will this cost me a pretty penny?

Thanks

'77 kz400
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 15:09 by jona barish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2012 00:47 #556068 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1977 kz400 stator problems?
Ask these people:

www.electrosport.com/technical-resources.../fault-finding-guide www.customrewind.com
www.rmstator.com
www.regulatorrectifier.com
www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com (Rectifier/ Regulators Only)

A stator can fail due to the magnets breaking off on the rotor if the adhesive fails,a short in the windings(indicated by a burned/blackened area on the windings)or the output of the stator wiring is damaged due to isulation failures/poor connections.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Oct 2012 00:49 #556069 by MFolks
The first item posted should have been this way:
www.electrosport.com/technical-resources.../fault-finding-guide It's a troubleshooting guide

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
28 Oct 2012 11:34 #556103 by jona barish
Replied by jona barish on topic 1977 kz400 stator problems?
Thank you for these resources! I'm going to inspect the stator later today.

'77 kz400

More
29 Oct 2012 00:35 #556182 by jona barish
I tried to get the stator cover off tonight but it wouldn't budge. Does anyone have a walkthrough or guide as to how to do this? I haven't done much mechanical work before and I'm a little wary of messing up my bike even more

'77 kz400

More
29 Oct 2012 01:25 #556185 by MFolks
I'd get a shot filled rubber hammer(sometimes called a dead blow hammer) from a local hardware store/home center(I paid about $14 for a replacement recently at Lowes), and making sure all the fasteners/screws are removed, place a oil catch pan under the area that has the alternator rotor.

Kitty litter will soak up any spilled oil that misses the catch pan. You might have to use a hair dryer on high to heat up the cover. Most covers not removed since the bike was built will be stuck on good. Heating will aid in removal. Have a new gasket on hand as the old one will tear, possibly creating an oil leak on re-assembly.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
29 Oct 2012 01:28 #556186 by MFolks
You don't need to apply excessive force to the cover, just a series of smacks/blows to loosen the bond between the cover and gasket. If a dead blow hammer is too expensive, a piece of 2 X 4 and a hammer should work, just be careful as you're hitting metal & and it might break.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
30 Oct 2012 14:15 #556392 by jona barish
Thank you for all your help MFolks!

I decided not to inspect the stator without knowing for sure if that's the problem. I'm currently looking for a mechanic who can do some diagnostic work and find out what the problem is. I'm having trouble finding someone who are willing to work on an older bike out here.

Are there other things that could be causing these problems? Like I said, I have no electrical and the bike won't start. The battery is brand new and is outputting normal power levels... Fuses are all good, connections look clean and secure.

'77 kz400

More
30 Oct 2012 14:24 #556393 by MFolks
A new battery and the bike won't start? Check the condition of the battery cables, all must be clean and tight for maximum current flow.

Read this:

Starter Solenoid/Motor Checkout Procedure

Some simple steps to determine what is working and what's not:

1.Fully charge and test the battery(most bike shops can load test the battery, and then use a floating ball hydrometer to check specific gravity in the charged cells).

2.Clean all battery terminals of corrosion.

3.Tighten all starting related connections(Positive RED(+) battery terminal, Negative BLACK(-)terminal) and from the terminal to the engine case. All connections must be clean and tight. If the cables feel “Crunchy” when flexed, they may have corrosion inside the insulation, requiring replacement.

4.Clean the cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor.

5.Clean and check the "bullet connectors" going to the coil side of the starter solenoid.

6.Try again to start the bike, keep in mind some Kawasaki’s have a clutch interlock to prevent cranking the engine while it’s in gear, so the clutch lever must be squeezed.

7.If no luck, go to step #8

8.Wearing eye protection, bridge with pliers or a screwdriver the two heavy duty(large)terminals on the solenoid. If the bike cranks, your solenoid may be bad.

9. If the starter won’t turn over, one of several things has happened; The starter motor has seized due to brushes binding up, lack of lubrication in the bushings of the motor, the battery is weak , the engine has seized or it could be a combination of any of the above. A website for starter motors is:

A. www.psep.biz/store/mitsuba_starter_motors_page_2.htm

B. www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

C. www.whitedogbikes.com/cat--Kawasaki-Star...-Starter-Motors.html

D. www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/starters.php

E. www.dbelectrical.com/

F. http://.www.nationsautoelectric.com/Kawasaki.html

G. http:// www.dbelectrical.com/

10.The dealer may want $$$ for a new solenoid, but take your old one along and visit the nearest riding lawn mower shop. They have solenoids for about $15 that with a little work will fit. Be aware that the new solenoid from the lawn mower shop may require a ground wire for it to work.

11. I’d recommend upgrading from the existing battery cables to at least 6 gauge welding cables.
They are available in two colors(RED and BLACK) have more flexibility due to being constructed with finer conductors, and will fit in tighter areas.

12. The welding cable is sold by the foot, so take careful measurements or bring your old cables along. Most battery shops might be able to supply the cable too, so call to find out. The battery shop should be able to crimp/swage on the end of the welding cable the terminal ends or lugs using either a dedicated crimping machine or a tool that looks like a bolt cutter that has special dies to terminate the cable.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: jona barish

More
30 Oct 2012 14:30 #556395 by MFolks
Starter solenoids have an energizing coil, that moves the heavy duty electrical contacts when it's given 12 volts D.C. This enables the starter motor to turn the engine over, and if the ignition circuit is working, the engine will run.

So you've got two seperate systems at work to initially get the engine operating, but both need a steady source of 12 volts from the battery.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
30 Oct 2012 14:36 #556396 by MFolks
Another place to look is the glass tubed fuses, they may visually look good, but possibly have an internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto supply stores and some boating places carry the fuses. Probably you'll need 10,15,and 20 amp fuses. If the clips the fuses go into, show signs of overheating(like melted wire insulation, or burned/melted plastic of the fuse holder(s)) you have an electrical problem to repair.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
30 Oct 2012 14:58 #556399 by jona barish
Thanks for the resources!

I've had a lot of conflicting opinions about what the problem could be. My main concern is that the bike wouldn't kick start. It rolls over, but no start. I haven't gotten the battery load tested.

Wiring connections look good and clean. Inspected the fuses and they are also clean and well connected

'77 kz400