Dyna coil installed

More
19 Oct 2012 11:06 - 19 Oct 2012 11:09 #554671 by KzRyan
Dyna coil installed was created by KzRyan
I just replaced my coils. They looked to be the original ones. I replaced them with the green dyna 3 ohm ones from z1e. I also replaced the wires with solid copper dyna wires and new ngk plugs. Certainly fixed my problems but I noticed on my test run last night that the motor and or coils make a lot more noise, it's almost like what I would expect the cam chain to sound like if the idler was going out but! It occurs all the time (idle and at pretty much any range of rpm). The noise becomes more rapid at higher speeds than idle. I don't believe this to be the cam chain making noise. 2 weeks ago before I started to have my intermittent problems due to my coils there was no noise like this. That's why I was thinking it was the coils. I did a few searches and found no one else mentioning anything like this about the dyna coils. Any one have any idea?

I should note I'm not running the dyna s ign yet. I plan to but I still have the. Points and condenser setup. I know it's not ideal but I'm not ready to switch to the electronic ign get. Thanks!

1978 Kz1000 A2A. 1040 Weisco 10.25:1 pistons, VM 28ss carbs, Dyna S Ignition and coils, Moto GP Werks exhaust, Ikon Shocks, lithium ion battery, Always a work in progress.

1974 Kz400 - 16K miles - all stock
Last edit: 19 Oct 2012 11:09 by KzRyan. Reason: Added notes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2012 11:56 #554676 by KzRyan
Replied by KzRyan on topic Dyna coil installed
Soo I feel bashful about this post now but I just took it for a ride and everything is normal. I realized that last night I test rode around the neighborhood without a helmet. Everything sounds different without a helmet!

1978 Kz1000 A2A. 1040 Weisco 10.25:1 pistons, VM 28ss carbs, Dyna S Ignition and coils, Moto GP Werks exhaust, Ikon Shocks, lithium ion battery, Always a work in progress.

1974 Kz400 - 16K miles - all stock

More
19 Oct 2012 12:47 #554681 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dyna coil installed
Am thinking the reported engine noise isn't related to either the new Dyna coils or new spark plug wires or continued use of the points ignition.

If the noise continues while wearing a helmet ---

Would confirm that the noise isn't a spark jump from where the new plug wires fit into the new coils.

If not already done, would set points gaps and assure correct ignition timing.

And also assure that the cam chain tensioner is functioning properly.

Was any other engine or maintenance work performed besides replacing the coils and plug wires?

Cam chain noise at idle and lower rpm is often significantly reduced by a good carb sync.

If noticing extra noise without a helmet, wait until riding behind a Vetter fairing. :pinch: :lol: :lol:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD