Keep blowing a fuse

More
16 Oct 2012 22:34 #554262 by DesertKZ
Keep blowing a fuse was created by DesertKZ
Background

Was starting the bike up yesterday and it cranked, than everything went dead. I disconnected the battery, checked it and over 12v. I pulled the generator cover and one of the gears had made contact with one of the 3 wires exiting the generator cover. I repaired the wire, new rubber seal and gasket, hooked the battery back up and still no power. Popped the fuse box, and the fuse with the two white wires (one goes to the solenoid) was blown. Replaced the fuse, turned the bike on, hit the starter and the fuse blew again.

Any idea where I might start looking? Is my starter fried?

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2012 23:41 #554272 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Keep blowing a fuse
The excess current caused when the gear chewed on your wires may have also shorted the windings in the stator. You will need to measure the resistance between the windings. It should be somewhere in the 0.5 Ohm range between each winding. Any lower reading and you shorted them together probably by melting them. Any higher, and they are open. Both are bad. Measure the resistance of each winding to the bike frame or engine case, it should be infinite. Any other reading means you have a short to ground. If that is the case, make sure your wires aren't still bare and touching metal. If they aren't, then you will need a new stator. It's not the end of the world. They are fairly common.

Get yourself a manual, there is a section on testing all of your electrical components, stator (or Dynamo), regulator, rectifier, battery...

More
17 Oct 2012 00:59 #554280 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Keep blowing a fuse
I had a feeling that was the case. I'll check the ohms in the morning. I noticed oil leaking out of the wire holes and that was next on my list. One of the wires must have gradually worked its way back into the cover. Dang it.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Oct 2012 01:14 #554282 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Keep blowing a fuse
If you think that the problem is with the stator, try un-plugging the connector for it. If it still blows, then it is another problem or you could have 2 issues.
Go back into your user profile and add the bike info to your signature so everyone knows what you got there.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
17 Oct 2012 06:43 #554293 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Keep blowing a fuse
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.
And may be changed whenever and as often as desired.
If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do. Here's how:

Attachment addsig.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2012 08:54 #554301 by DesertKZ
Sorry fellas, signature has been corrected.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

• Motor Head
  • User
More
17 Oct 2012 09:17 #554307 by Motor Head
Great.
Now didn't you do a rewire for your electrical along the Bare Bones route? Did you use one of Loudhvx's schematics from the Bare Bones for Matty light thread? If so which one? So everyone will have a good idea of what you still have on the bike.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
17 Oct 2012 11:59 - 17 Oct 2012 16:09 #554324 by DesertKZ
Nope, no complete re-wire for me yet. I removed alot of the excess touring crap and did the coil/relay mod, but that's it. Bike was running perfect the other day. I'll check the stator when I get home from work today.

Just thinking out loud here... That fat white wire w/ red strip (that holds the fuse that keep blowing, that's the main power wire right? So something somewhere is grounding that out correct?

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
Last edit: 17 Oct 2012 16:09 by DesertKZ.

More
17 Oct 2012 20:35 #554392 by built408
Replied by built408 on topic Keep blowing a fuse
I had the same problem mine was in my controls on the handle bars. Thought I fixed it but now my fuses get hot could be the switches not getting good contact or an ignition.

1978 KZ1000 A2A with MKII body you know you like it

• Motor Head
  • User
More
17 Oct 2012 22:15 #554411 by Motor Head

DesertKZ wrote: Just thinking out loud here... That fat white wire w/ red strip (that holds the fuse that keep blowing, that's the main power wire right? So something somewhere is grounding that out correct?

Yes that would be correct, that wire feeds the main fuse. So the problem with a short could be on any part from that point on the bike. When you did the "Coil Mod" was there a reason? Low voltage at the coils? Or what? Anyway when you disconnected the lights and stuff, are you sure there isn't a wire bare or crimped in the headlight bucket?

More
17 Oct 2012 22:28 #554416 by DesertKZ

Motor Head wrote:

DesertKZ wrote: Just thinking out loud here... That fat white wire w/ red strip (that holds the fuse that keep blowing, that's the main power wire right? So something somewhere is grounding that out correct?

Yes that would be correct, that wire feeds the main fuse. So the problem with a short could be on any part from that point on the bike. When you did the "Coil Mod" was there a reason? Low voltage at the coils? Or what? Anyway when you disconnected the lights and stuff, are you sure there isn't a wire bare or crimped in the headlight bucket?

Well, traced wires all afternoon, charged the battery up over night and voila, starts up and purrs like a kitten. A few things concern me though.

Per the manual, each yellow lead is supposed to read between .5 and .7 ohms, mine all read .7, .8 and .9. Anyone thinks this should be of concern?

About the coil mod, yeah that's why I did that, 11.4ish volts at the coil. I read through hundreds of posts here about the good and bad. This bike is in need of a complete re-wire and I think that'll be my winter project. For now, the coil mod made the bike run so smoooooth. I actually have performed the same mod in the past on my '69 Internationl and '69 Mustang, I'm kind of a fan of it.

I took Mfolks' advice and clean every connecter from front to back, changed out alot of connectors, battery wires, etc. I fear this may be a patch and everything should get swapped.

Thanks for everyone's input and I'll try not to bother much anymore!

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker