Replacing Handlebar Controls

More
27 Sep 2012 16:06 - 27 Sep 2012 18:03 #551203 by Shuagrr
Replacing Handlebar Controls was created by Shuagrr
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of replacement handlebar controls? I have a '83 KZ650 CSR, and recently replaced the handlebars. The new bars are shorter than the previous bars(apes), and the original controls and levers are cramped. So in essence I am looking for:

new (shorter) clutch lever and signal/horn/HB controls for the left side.

new brake lever, throttle/housing, and brake fluid container for the right side.

I also want to relocate the starter/kill switch. So not only will I need the part, but would also appreciate some suggestions for placement.

The plastic housing between the Speedo & Tach (HB/Neutral/Signals) is cracked and missing plastic, would item #03-0744 from Parts-N-More work as a replacement? Would the indicator lights work?

Cheers,
Shua

Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good.
-Norman Collins

1983 KZ650 CSR
Last edit: 27 Sep 2012 18:03 by Shuagrr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
27 Sep 2012 20:47 #551247 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Replacing Handlebar Controls

Shuagrr wrote: Hello,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of replacement handlebar controls? I have a '83 KZ650 CSR, and recently replaced the handlebars. The new bars are shorter than the previous bars(apes), and the original controls and levers are cramped. So in essence I am looking for:

new (shorter) clutch lever and signal/horn/HB controls for the left side.

new brake lever, throttle/housing, and brake fluid container for the right side.

I also want to relocate the starter/kill switch. So not only will I need the part, but would also appreciate some suggestions for placement.

The plastic housing between the Speedo & Tach (HB/Neutral/Signals) is cracked and missing plastic, would item #03-0744 from Parts-N-More work as a replacement? Would the indicator lights work?

Cheers,
Shua

what do u mean by shorter. do u mean lower or the grip area is shorter?

amost any electic controls could be converted. but u would want a wiring diagram to sort out the new wires. some of the modern bikes have thinner controls that would help in the grip area, but u may need a custom throttle cable from motion pro.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shuagrr

More
28 Sep 2012 15:45 - 28 Sep 2012 15:47 #551406 by Shuagrr
Replied by Shuagrr on topic Replacing Handlebar Controls

what do u mean by shorter. do u mean lower or the grip area is shorter?

The grip area shorter. I have attached a image, it is somewhat hard to see but the lever sticks out. I am not sure if once I replace the left controls it will make a difference, but I am getting bar-end mirrors so I will be replacing the current mounting anyways.

Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good.
-Norman Collins

1983 KZ650 CSR
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Sep 2012 15:47 by Shuagrr. Reason: attachment didn't work

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
28 Sep 2012 16:16 #551411 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Replacing Handlebar Controls
i'm just thinking out loud here.
most bikes should have the same amount of room for the controls. would it be cheaper and easier to look into a dif set of bars?

what type of bars r u using? can we see a pic of the bars on the bike?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)