Turn Signal Dampers - Electrical Function?

• mwriders
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
24 Sep 2012 13:47 #550615 by mwriders
Mounting new turn signal stalks on a 1980 KZ440B1. OEM stalks mount to chrome fork ears through two rubber grommets, and are grounded with a collar attached to the stalk on the inside of the ears. I think this is pretty common for a lot of period KZs. As I'm doing this, I wind up with a lot better fit for the aftermarket stalks if I do not use the rubber damping grommets. But it occurs to me that those grommets not only damp vibrations in the turn signal but also isolate it from the frame which would also ground the turn signal.

So here's the question: Do those damping grommets serve an electrical function such that if the turn signal contacts the metal fork ears the ground would be screwed up?

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2012 15:46 #550626 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Turn Signal Dampers - Electrical Function?

mwriders wrote: So here's the question: Do those damping grommets serve an electrical function such that if the turn signal contacts the metal fork ears the ground would be screwed up?

No they are vibration dampers. The turn signals ground through the ground terminal that goes under the mounting nut. The lights have to be grounded to work so isolating them would keep them from working.

If the rubber dampers are not used, I suspect vibration would kill the filaments in the bulbs pretty quickly.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.