regulator rectifier

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
22 Sep 2012 22:01 #550321 by lushbaugh
regulator rectifier was created by lushbaugh
anyone repair rr? mine isnt charging and im tired of buying crap. im good with elecrical stuff like soldering and wiring so if you know a way lmk. im thinking the signal wire is fooling it that its ok and dont need to charge.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2012 22:12 #550322 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic regulator rectifier
If you need to replace it this place sells top notch stuff at a great price, and they understand bikes:

www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/Products.html

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Sep 2012 00:04 #550339 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic regulator rectifier
If it is a 6 wire R/R, unplug the sense wire (Brown) briefly while monitoring voltage. It will go to over 15 quickly, maybe 18 even so watch it you can blow bulbs and other stuff.
This is why I suggested to unplug the head lamp and watch the output across the battery. If the R/R is working, decreasing the load should show a charging voltage of a correct value around 14.5 or so.
If this done and charging looks good under less load, then look at total system demand vrs output. You may need a over wound stator, which would make more amperage, or maybe just take care of poor connections, or resistance in the system. Total system current and total alternator max output should be checked.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
23 Sep 2012 15:04 #550391 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic regulator rectifier
ok head and tail light unplugged same result and brown wire is not effecting the result when unhooked. so im wondering if my intermittenly working highbeam indicator is also a part of this as its on one circut.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

• Motor Head
  • User
More
23 Sep 2012 15:25 #550400 by Motor Head
Sounds like you need to go back to checking the ACV on each combination of the yellow stator wires, where it goes to the R/R. Each set of yellows should produce 56 ACV. If low you know you still have a stator issue. Possible connections from the actual windings and the yellow harness wires.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
23 Sep 2012 15:47 #550416 by lushbaugh
new stator, new wires that i soldered all in, its the regulator, i busted it open with a hammer and the inside wires were toast. so its getting the seprate wired in regulator and rectifier i have or a 5 wire. what a pain. i hope my new stator isnt cooked ill be upset.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

• Motor Head
  • User
More
23 Sep 2012 15:50 #550419 by Motor Head
Probably had one diode in the rectifier toast. that will drop one leg of the stator, and give low output.
Wire in the new combo R/R and hopefully all will be sweet.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
23 Sep 2012 16:02 #550425 by lushbaugh
i hope so my float sprung a leak so i got that to fix now. and its all a mess as i got a noise that im hoping is just back lash from flooded cyl.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart

More
05 Nov 2012 23:11 #557171 by Zachs305
Replied by Zachs305 on topic regulator rectifier
I have a bobber style 305 that I just bought and the guys who did the chop bypassed the regulator all together, does this automatically mean that I need to buy a new one or do any of you know how I might check it?

82 kz305b

More
06 Nov 2012 00:01 #557180 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic regulator rectifier
You need a voltage regulator (or rectifier/regulator) on the bike. Without a regulator there is nothing to control the voltage. Consequently, as you rev up the engine the voltage traveling through the electrical system can go above the 15v limit that the regulator would provide. This means you will very likely blow out light bulbs and possibly cause other problems with components such as coils. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2012 06:41 #560604 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic regulator rectifier

Zachs305 wrote: I have a bobber style 305 that I just bought and the guys who did the chop bypassed the regulator all together, does this automatically mean that I need to buy a new one or do any of you know how I might check it?

that is ac voltage that you are playing with there buddy, expensive to repair, expensive to zap yourself. I would take the fender off before it is a Bobber.