kz550 1983 ltd speedometer harness connection

More
22 Sep 2012 14:36 #550277 by patrickpe
i can't find anything in the archives that addresses the wiring harness connection to the speedometer. this, on the 83 kz550 ltd, has the 2 gauge lights and a rectangular connector with a green/red wires with an inline fuse.

what is the purpose of this connector? and how does it work? my green wire had several strands broken off the soldered connection so my speedo was bouncy above 20 mph (it wasn't the cable - i relubed it & checked the green wire connection w/a magnifying glass to be sure it was about half connected).

the fuse in this connector is so narrow one can't simply remove the solder from the wire connection & reinsert the wire w/o just about desoldering the fuse soldered connection & melting the plastic holder in the process. why is this fuse there again? and why is it soldered in place?

the green/red wires have little metal caps at the end so it is evident they were inserted thru holes in the connector from the fuse side, soldered in place, and then the fuse was added and soldered in place.

now that i've removed the harness, partially melted my holder but have a green wire reconnected, and reinstalled it, my speedo almost works fine. note the melted holder in the picture - it is about as wide as angled part of my soldering iron. it is quite easy to melt.

i am wondering if i smooth out the holder so it fits flat inside the speedometer slot if it will work correctly instead of just mostly correctly, or does it even need to be in the slot in the speedometer? can it just be an inline fuse in between the two wires in the headlight bucket (or between bucket and speedo)? or does it have to go in that slot at the back of the speedo due to some electrical field/circuit it completes w/the magnet in the speedometer?

yes, ugly soldering on the green wire, i know. at least when i'm in 4th gear at 5500 rpm the speedo now says i'm doing 45 mph. so this is the mostly works part. when i'm running about 5200 rpm it says i'm doing 50 mph. this is the not working part. it seems to be consistent in 3rd & 4th gears when i get near the rpm i normally ride in - the needle jumps up about 5 mph over the normal rpm/mph till i get a few hundred more rpms in & then it settles back to where i expect it to be.

any ideas to the significance of this slot connection/fuse & why it is necessary? there's an ebay seller with a harness connection (headlight bucket to speedo) for about $32 w/shipping & i'm wondering if just shouldn't bother buying it instead of fixing this one.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
22 Sep 2012 15:33 #550278 by Killman
Replied by Killman on topic kz550 1983 ltd speedometer harness connection
The extra wiring on the speedo for my '83 440 Ltd is for the distance sensor, for the self-canceling signal lights.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

More
22 Sep 2012 19:11 #550297 by patrickpe
Replied by patrickpe on topic kz550 1983 ltd speedometer harness connection
ah yes, thank you killman. the kz550 service manual indicates this is the case on 83 ltd as well. i guess since i don't use the auto cancelling feature is probably why i'd never noticed the loose connection.

back to working on the cable/lube connection.

the odd part is that the speedometer didn't start jumping around till i disconnected the top (w/o disconnecting the cable to the wheel sensor) to change the lights, which is why i was wondering if these green/red wires were the cause.