Alternator conversion done. . .FINALLY.

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
20 Sep 2012 09:03 #549834 by BINJIEU
This has been an issue I've been trying to rectify for almost four years now, and I've finally done it. There is information in these archives somewhere, but I was never able to find it. So, with the help of various members, here is the situation as I've resovlved it; 77 KZ 650B 3-phase stator gave up the ghost, taking the reg/rect. with it. Having extreme difficulty locating an identical replacement, I opted for an upgrade to a higher output unit from a later model. I eventually found a bike boneyard where I bought a three phase stator and accompanying permanent magnet rotot from a 79 KZ 750, (OR SO i WAS TOLD). I had to buy a universal reg/rect. from Rick's Motorsports since the boneyard owner had no idea what I was going to need in that department. The stator and rotor swapped out perfectly. Three white wires from stator to three yellow to rectifier. A pair of red and a pair of green wires from the regulator went to battery positive and negative, respectively. Voila! My little KZ lives again. Output is 13 volts at idle, and no more thatn 15 at high RPMS. Thanks to all you guys and gals who had patience and helped me along the way.

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 19:25 #550172 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Alternator conversion done. . .FINALLY.
So you didn't have to modify the stator cover at all to get the alignment dowels in the correct place? That's great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.