Convert to ATC/ATO fuses?

More
30 Aug 2012 15:24 #545687 by jasonwebb
Convert to ATC/ATO fuses? was created by jasonwebb
I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around converting my KZ1100 Spectre from AGX barrel-type fuses to the newer blade-type. I bought basically this: www.delcity.net/store/search/p_793543.h_793544.t_1.n_y.jsp but I'm not sure it's what I want to do. This way it looks like I would hook the positive lead directly from the battery to the one post on the fuse panel, then the other circuits would feed off that. Wouldn't that make everything hot all the time? Wouldn't it be easier to get 5 in-line fuse holders like this: www.delcity.net/store/Weatherproof-Fuse-Holder/p_800399

I haven't started doing anything yet, somebody tell me it would be a bad idea to futz with stuff before I go cutting wires!

The reason I want to switch to blades is because my 30A main fuse keeps overheating and stranding me until it cools down. Not to mention weatherproof blades seem less troublesome and less likely to blow from vibration or heat.

Thanks!
Jason

'83 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre
'74 Yamaha TX500a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2012 15:43 #545689 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Convert to ATC/ATO fuses?
Here's something I made up a few years ago:

Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by using a multimeter to check for voltage going through the fuse, or when the fuse is removed for physical inspection for tight end caps & continuity checks,can it be determined if it’s serviceable.

5. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

6. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

7. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

8. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net/store/6!way-fuse-blocks/p_10822.a_1

www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Product...ers/fuseholders.html

www.autowiringsolutions.com/item.php?item_id=251&category_id=89 (ATO/ATC Fuse Holder)

9. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?N...&D=AGX&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

You're going to need wire insulation strippers,terminal end crimpers, a place to mount the new fuse holder(s), and posible splices to extend the wiring to the new fuse block(s).

Here's some video's on tools,wire splices & using a multimeter:

Aircraft Electrical Tools, Basic Overview 001)

(Heatshrink Terminal Installation)

(Heatshrink Terminals And Connectors, AAA Protection)

(Heatshrinkable Crimpable Terminals)

The Best Mutimeter Tutorial

Wire Termination Insulation & Sizes

Terminal Insulation Color Wire Sizes
RED
22-18 gauge wire
BLUE
16-14 gauge wire
YELLOW
12-10 gauge wire

The ring terminal holes comes in many sizes, from #4 up to 1/2" in most cases, it's a matter of finding the tightest fitting hole to fit the fastener for the termination.

American Wire Gauge(AWG) is backwards to what many people think; that is 22 gauge is many times smaller than 10 gauge even though the number is bigger.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Aug 2012 17:24 #545705 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Convert to ATC/ATO fuses?
I am gonna say it before someone else does if your glass fuse is getting hot and shutting your bike down It's not the fuse. fuses either burn out or fry wiring (unless you have a circuit breaker)

I changed my fuse block out for other resons the one I got allowed you to plug in after the constant hot to the switched hot

Glas Fuses are not bad they are just fuses while their is a certain coolness factor to upgrading to an easier to find more modern fuse choice

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
30 Aug 2012 18:26 #545725 by jasonwebb
Replied by jasonwebb on topic Convert to ATC/ATO fuses?
Well now my stock fuse block is melted at the main. I'm changing it out at least temporarily now. I'm not fond of getting stranded on the highway and it happened 3 times in the last 10 minutes. I know there is likely a short somewhere, and I will go through it all from front to back this weekend, but I definitely have to do something until then. For now it's going to be inline ATC/ATO fuse holders.

'74 Yamaha TX500a

More
30 Aug 2012 18:57 #545730 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic Convert to ATC/ATO fuses?

jasonwebb wrote: Well now my stock fuse block is melted at the main. I'm changing it out at least temporarily now. I'm not fond of getting stranded on the highway and it happened 3 times in the last 10 minutes. I know there is likely a short somewhere, and I will go through it all from front to back this weekend, but I definitely have to do something until then. For now it's going to be inline ATC/ATO fuse holders.

Exactly the same scenario I had only the PO bypassed every thing and I when I turned he key on evewrthing powered which insnt a bd thing since ther snt that mich on these olt bikes

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
31 Aug 2012 15:07 #545897 by jasonwebb
The PO wired in a old crummy Pyramid stereo right onto the battery post with no fuse. I have it unhooked right now and will be installing something better soon, but I wonder if that is what was blowing the main fuse?

I went on a 20 mile ride this morning and everything was nice and cool under the seat and no blown fuses so far :)

Jason

'74 Yamaha TX500a

More
31 Aug 2012 15:14 #545900 by MFolks
Good possibilty the stereo was the culprit, but I'd change the fuses over anyway. There are some crazed previous owners out there, butchering up old bikes, so if you buy one that's had two or more PO, good luck on sorting out the electrical system.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
03 Sep 2012 14:39 #546401 by jasonwebb
I changed the fuses over to in-line ATO/ATC Friday. Last night the little lady and I went on a 3 hour ride and had no problems at all. If there was actually a short it must have been in the fuse block itself.

Thanks!
Jason

'74 Yamaha TX500a

More
03 Sep 2012 16:04 #546414 by MFolks
Good to hear! The older glass tubed fuses were all that was available when the bikes came out in the 80's. Now with the car type "Blade" fuses and holders, the electrical power being supplied is much more stable and less prone to vibration failures.

1982 GPZ1100 B2