Speedometer

More
28 Aug 2012 18:54 #545339 by jasonwebb
Speedometer was created by jasonwebb
My KZ1100 D2 has an electronic speedometer that isn't working. The tach and all gauge lights work fine but not the speedo, odometer, or trip meter. The speedo just kind of randomly bounces. I have a leaky fork seal on the left hand side that may have shorted the sender out? And the wire coming from the sender has been pinched but the wires seem intact. How picky are these wires? Might it be possible to cut them and put new bullet connectors at least as a temporary fix?

If the temporary mickey mouse fix doesn't get things running, anybody have an idea where I might look? As far as I know I'm breaking land speed records all day long here.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

'83 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre
'74 Yamaha TX500a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2012 23:23 #545378 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Speedometer
Use the link in my signature for a pdf file for the KZ1000/ 1100 with the electric speedo's. There will be tests for the distance sensor on the front wheel/ hub, as well as the electrical circuits.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Aug 2012 10:49 #545447 by jasonwebb
Replied by jasonwebb on topic Speedometer
Thanks Mr Head, for helping with both my issues so far :)

I downloaded the shop manual and I'm going to take a look at it this morning.

Jason

'83 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre
'74 Yamaha TX500a

More
14 Oct 2012 20:33 #553855 by whitbyrudie
Replied by whitbyrudie on topic Speedometer
Hey Jason,
Did you have any luck with this?

I've got an 81 kz1000 CSR with the same problem (speedometer, odometer and trip don't work, no leaky forks though)

I've got the pdf manual but haven't had much luck sourcing the problem. If you did get it fixed, have any tips you could pass on?

Cheers
Chris

81 KZ1000 CSR
Vancouver Canada