Boiling gas!

More
27 Aug 2012 21:34 - 28 Aug 2012 12:10 #545171 by XL777
Boiling gas! was created by XL777
Hey back after another mechanical hiatus. I have a very troubling issue! My gas boils. it's a hot 27 Celsius day here in AB
Bike has been sitting for a few months just put a new clutch, fresh rotella t 15w40 oil in it this weekend fired it up let it warm up adjusted the clutch so the bike was running for about 20 min in the garage. Took it for a test run all a ok. Then the bike stalled. I notice a hissing sound like air from a tire coming from my gas cap. When I opened it boom I was showered in boiling fuel ouch! Well I got looking and noticed my ignition wire was resting on the engine damn! Melted where the coil wire and Dyna ignition meet. And the heat coming off the bike was crazy. the frame of the bike was scalding.

Theory 1: bike over heated from sitting still too long

Theory 2: coil short (again) and That creates the heat

I was thinking about the First theory last night. I didn't let the bike cool down enough after I fixed the wire and fired up the bike again.

Theory 2: After I fixed the wire I Tried to drive it and it bogs/chugs on acceleration with the clutch fully out. So I'm thinking electrical again or the clutch isnt fully disengaging. Gas started to boil again crazy hot frame.

I'm going to start one wire at a time around the coil checking resistance again my fear is I fried another pair of $200 coils with a short!

Any suggestions?

2012 Triumph Bonneville SE black

1978 KZ1000 B2 LTD
Fresh top end rebuild
Rebuilt head
Wiseco 1015 pistons
Dyna s
Green Dyna coils
Wired george mod

It is easier to say what I haven't replaced then what I have.

I must love this cruel mistress since she hates me
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 12:10 by XL777. Reason: new facts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2012 22:42 #545194 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Boiling gas!
YIKES :sick:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.