New coil- question about resistor caps

More
27 Aug 2012 17:23 #545120 by KZCool
I have a 76 kz750 and have upgraded the ignition system to dyna s digital ignition and dyna 3 ohm coil for it. Should I still be using resitor caps, or the non-resistor types that came with it? I ask because my bike blowes a fuse everytime i try to kickstart it even though it was working fine before with this setup.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 17:40 #545126 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic New coil- question about resistor caps
Try this post again.

You should be able to run with, or without, resistance caps. Their purpose is to supress interference with things like radios in the car next to you. You can get the resistance via the caps, the spark plugs, or the plug wires. But you only want one of them to be resistance type. If you have two, you'll get a weak/no spark. But it shouldn't be blowing a fuse.

I know on the dyna's some people have mentioned issues with them grounding via some spacers. I still have stocks, so I can't point it out exactly, but maybe that's enough to point you in the right direction. If you're blowing a fuse, you almost certainly have an electrical short, and that seems like a decent place to start checking since it's what you just changed.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
27 Aug 2012 20:04 #545154 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New coil- question about resistor caps
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, (like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number, like B8RES).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come awfully close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Aug 2012 01:04 #545227 by KZCool
Replied by KZCool on topic New coil- question about resistor caps
Thanks a lot guys. I wasnt sure if maybe the extra voltage was fryng something,but I'm thinking I jst have a short somewhere. That will be fun lol.

1976 KZ750 hardtail

More
28 Aug 2012 01:21 #545230 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic New coil- question about resistor caps
Try this method of troubleshooting:

The Dreaded Shorting/Intermittent Electrical Problem!

Here is the most basic method I know(Taken from www.kzrider.com by member Patton)

1. Charge your battery and have it load tested if you can. The floating ball hydrometer can be used to check the specific gravity of the charged cells in the battery.

2. Disconnect the Black lead from the (-) Battery terminal... or Red from the (+) Battery terminal, it does not matter which one. Just 1, not both!

3. Connect one of the following test setups in series with the Battery terminal and lead:
3.1 A 12 V light bulb,
3.2 A 12 V test light,
3.3 A 12 V test buzzer or,
3.4 A 12 V horn... you get the idea.

4. With the Ignition Switch OFF, go through your harness and wiggle the wires while looking/listening for the test setup to go on/start buzzing.

5.With the Ignition Switch ON, repeat the test except this time the looking/listening for the test setup to go off/stop buzzing.

6. Be prepared to open the Ignition switch and check/test for solder joint failure and or circuit board micro breaks (don't ask how I know this).

7. Be prepared to pull the wires out of the Head Light to test for failures at or near the grommet.

8. Be prepared to open the harness at or near the Steering Neck for failures. This is where wires tend to exhibit fatigue due to repetitive movement.

9. Be prepared to open the left and right switch gear to search for rust and or broken parts. CAUTION: watch out for flying springs, ball bearings and stuff. Do indoors on White sheet (again don't ask ).

10. Be prepared to follow the heavy gauge wire from the Starter Solenoid (Relay) to the starter for bare wire exposure. Especially near bends and grommets.

11. If you can reproduce the fault symptom your are pretty much home free. Be prepare to find and repair/replace any internal wire breaks, insulation break downs, exposed wires, rubber grommet failures, etc. Often, shrink tubing will solve the problem temporarily until something better can be done.

12. I use a very good electrical contact cleaner/preservative called De-oxit made by Caig Labs in San Diego Ca. Their website is www.deoxit.com It can be purchased at Radio Shack and any other electronic supply store. I use it on all of my motorcycle’s electrical connectors , in my home entertainment center’s stereo patch cords and cordless phones charging cradles.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
28 Aug 2012 06:59 #545244 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New coil- question about resistor caps
Would assure that the head of screw attaching wire to terminal isn't shorting against a coil mounting spacer.

On some bike models, it's necessary to insulate the screw head from the spacer.

There are various insulating methods, one of which is using zip-ties around the spacer.

Some folks have fitted non-metallic spacers.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: