Rewiring a bike???

More
15 Aug 2012 08:57 #542733 by keithnra
Replied by keithnra on topic Rewiring a bike???
im also thinking of changing over to a blade fuse setup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Aug 2012 10:04 - 15 Aug 2012 10:04 #542747 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rewiring a bike???
Risking a "Coil Mod" backlash: :whistle: :woohoo:
But all of the newer bikes, and Automotive circuits involve relays to handle load. Take my ZG Concours, it has micro relays right in the "Junction Block"/ fuse panel. This distributes the power through relays, the relays are between the battery +, then fused, then to the load device.
So if you use this concept, you can remove some load from what is now the "Main Fuse". I would only do a High draw circuit such as the Head Light, and not the Ignition. Using a Continuous duty relay and Not a Momentary one. There are several, at different Amp ratings pretty cheap, like $10-15.
Look how many relays are on What ever Car/ Truck you own. Nearly everything is wired this way, lights/ Ign/ Fans/ etc. ;)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 15 Aug 2012 10:04 by Motor Head.

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
15 Aug 2012 10:20 - 15 Aug 2012 10:21 #542753 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Rewiring a bike???
i am not very familiar with the working of relays. only that they use a small power source to power a magnet, to complete another circuit. once that circuit is complete, how is it dif???
Please keep it in simple terms, for my simple mind. :P

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 15 Aug 2012 10:21 by mark1122.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
15 Aug 2012 10:38 #542757 by Motor Head
Thats right, a small current to Latch/ connect the High current contacts of the relay. Your starter solenoid is Exactly this, a High Amperage Momentary Relay.
So on your bike, besides the Starter motor, the next highest Amp current circuits are the Ignition and Head lights. If you use a relay between the Battery and the Head Light, with a separate fuse, you would remove about 4.5 Amps from the Main Fuse. So now you would have 2 fuses, instead of one from the battery to the electrical. This is just an example of what they do in a circuit, re-route the load through a Electrically operated Switch, a Relay.
Again just examples of different wiring techniques.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
15 Aug 2012 12:02 #542775 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Rewiring a bike???
for ease of understanding.
so relays(for the simple minded,like me and mark),
act as a remote switch powered by a low voltage + wire?
is this true?

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
15 Aug 2012 12:31 #542779 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Rewiring a bike???
Precisly, a relay is simply an electrically operated switch, and come in an array of contact ratings(capacity), and coil voltages(the electric used to throw the switch)

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Aug 2012 09:23 #542912 by mark1122
Thanks MF. :)
i will certainly look through them all. if u find more let me know.

How do i post a pdf pic? :S

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Aug 2012 09:25 - 16 Aug 2012 09:52 #542914 by mark1122
here is a photo of a 78 wiring diagram

Attachment DSC00823.JPG not found

it may be hard to see. the main fuses white lead, goes to the ignition(key switch) then it feeds a brown wire that comes back to feed 2 fuses. 1 for the headlight and another for most of the other lights. but it does seem to power some things prier to feeding the fuse(horn,neutral lt, oil lt).

as i said, my bike only has 1 fuse. so i just bought 1 of these ignition switches from a member here.
i am currently thinking that i should buy a new 78 wiring harness and use this new ignition key switch. does this seem sensible? and better ideas. this would make it simpler to rewire my bike with 3 fuses.
if i go this route, would it make sense to cut the lead that goes to the head lt fuse, and feed a relay with that power. then take a lead from the +bat and go into the relay and then out to the fuse? or am i wasting my time by adding an extra switch(relay).

i am going to the gp races at Indy tomorrow, so i may not rely for a few days.
Thanks for the help guys. Have a good week end.
M

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Aug 2012 09:52 by mark1122.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
16 Aug 2012 09:51 - 16 Aug 2012 10:04 #542915 by Motor Head
That diagram is pretty fuzzy for reading the printing.
But yes the Idea of using a relay to supply power to the head light circuit is good. First the entire main fuse circuit would have less Amperage going through it, this includes the contacts in the Ign switch. Those remaining circuits would then have an easier path for carrying current. Just like when the Internet gets slow when lots of users are trying to be Online, the wire can only carry so much. It should result in more energy to your important areas such as the Ignition power circuit, and your Head Light. The Head light because of the New Power Routing through the relay, and the Ign because now there is less load on that circuit.
This can be tested with a Volt meter before hand if you like. Turn the key on and measure the voltage across the coils, and the head light. Then pull the Head light fuse ( once wired that way) and supply that fuse from the battery and recheck both voltages. See an increase on both?

Last edit: 16 Aug 2012 10:04 by Motor Head.

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
16 Aug 2012 10:04 #542916 by mark1122
that makes sence. i have a few more things added to my bike that draw more power as well. i have a Dyna 2000, they r said to draw more current. i changed to a new style combo reg/rec, from the older separates, new light weight battery box,new zrx guages, and new HID headlight(saves current). so i have just kept splicing and adding and that made a few small birds nests. :P

i should be done with the add on now, so it will be nice to get it all cleaned up and fresh.

i'm thinking that i would unwrap the entire new wire harness, and add what is needed then re-wrap??

sounds easy when its just 1 sentence. :lol:

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Motor Head
  • User
More
16 Aug 2012 10:12 - 16 Aug 2012 10:16 #542917 by Motor Head
Sure you can do exactly that. As you unwrap, put a small zip tie, where the wires come off out of the main loom to keep the original tight and tidy. Lay your other wires and as you tape, cut the zips.
;)

When you get a chance, make a list off all of your electrical equipment, then post it. It may help to know which fuse panel to select, also based on room on the bike of course. Lots of guys here are good at wiring/ electrical. I would think a 6 fuse panel would be enough.

Last edit: 16 Aug 2012 10:16 by Motor Head.