new to me kz1000p died while running

More
20 Jul 2012 22:09 #537386 by pocycle
new to me kz1000p died while running was created by pocycle
So, hello everyone I am a newbie to this site and thoiught I might send out a question. I have a 1991 kz1000p that I just purchased and it was running very either lean or rich. So I towed it home and had it running for all of 2 minutes and it shut off! Now when I turn the key no lights come on. I checked the battery and its putting out 12.96 so I figure its not that. Any ideas? again I am a nube and plan on learning a lot about my bike before I even ride it on a regular basis. (don't want to get stuck) So please accept my apologies if the questions I will be asking seem ignorant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2012 22:31 #537388 by richard_oxon
Replied by richard_oxon on topic new to me kz1000p died while running
hi po , i to am newbie here :) but i would check your main fuse if that blown u would have no power .. seems these old bikes suffer from alot of bad connections . i bought my kz1000 ltd a month of so ago ,and had to clean all my connections and fuse box connections as i to was blowing the main fuse ..

** KZ1000 B3 1979 ** 1015cc wiseco pistons 33 smoothbores ported head 410 cams
** KZ1000 A1 1977** 1075 wiseco pistons 438 megacycle cams ported head rs34 flat slides
The following user(s) said Thank You: pocycle

More
21 Jul 2012 01:45 #537409 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic new to me kz1000p died while running
+1 on the main fuse, connection there seems a rather common problem. I have seen a lot of talk of upgrading the fuse block to a blade type set-up, but don't have any real how-to knowledge for you on that

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
21 Jul 2012 01:48 #537410 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic new to me kz1000p died while running
Throw all the fuses away and put in new ones regardless of appearance. If it's the original ignition switch, that could be flaky too.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Jul 2012 14:36 #537469 by pocycle
Replied by pocycle on topic new to me kz1000p died while running
thanks for the response all, I think I will defenitely change all the fuses and cut out any possible problems there first.

More
21 Jul 2012 14:58 #537470 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic new to me kz1000p died while running
Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by using a multimeter to check for voltage going through the fuse, or when the fuse is removed for physical inspection for tight end caps & continuity checks,can it be determined if it’s serviceable.

5. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

6. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

7. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

8. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net/store/6!way-fuse-blocks/p_10822.a_1

www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Product...ers/fuseholders.html

www.autowiringsolutions.com/item.php?item_id=251&category_id=89 (ATO/ATC Fuse Holder)

9. A source for the glass tubed AGX fuses:
www.boatownerswarehouse.com/browse.cfm/2,4986.html

www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?N...&D=AGX&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
23 Jul 2012 01:00 #537794 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic new to me kz1000p died while running
I have a 93 KZ1000P that would just shut off... I would be riding along and all of a sudden the ignition would just shut off==like I turned the key to the off position, the main symptom was all ignition and electricals dead.. Sometimes, after an extended period, I would go out to the bike and turn the key and everything would be fine-- until it would just shut off--and strand me somewhere. After checking the fuse box, checking battery voltage to the hot side of the starter relay and a whole bunch of checking starter lockout switches, the starter button wiring etc., I finally stumbled on what was causing the problem...
The 9 pin connector coming from the right hand control--where it connects to the main harness (under the tank, above the carbs) was cracked (I assume from excessive heat) and making intermittant contact. While jiggling the connection, I could hear the starter relay clicking so I figured that the connector was bogus. I went on www.vintageconnections.com and bought replacement 9 pin connectors and a cool new crimping tool to make my wire connections. I inspected some of the other 9 pin, 4 pin, and 3 pin connectors and found them hardened and starting to crack. When I have time, I plan to replace those pin connectors also.
So far, fixing that 9 pin connector seems to have fixed my problem with my ignition shutting off. Best of luck to you solving your problem, hopefully, this post will help you resolve you issue. Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P