Headlight Fit

• bugsinmyteeth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jul 2012 15:09 #536574 by bugsinmyteeth
Headlight Fit was created by bugsinmyteeth
newbie here and not the best mechanic (just telling you up front). I did a search and didn't find anything on this.

Bought a halogen headlight conversion for my 1975 Z1 from a VERY reputable company. It is a 7" headlight. My problem is getting the new headlight to fit properly between the 2 mounting rings. See this link and note part numbers 792254 and 792245 (they are numbered as #9 and #10 in the fiche). www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/19.../o/m150670#sch550146 (link to Bikebandit -- not the vendor I purchased from).

The headlight fits between those two rings. The old sealed-beam incandescent fits fine. The new halogen seems to wiggle a bit when I have it clamped down as tight as the screws allow. There is a difference between the two lamps. The old sealed-beam has a one-quarter inch lip where the glass meets the rest of the headlamp. The new halogen has a one-eighth inch lip. That seems to be the problem as to why it won't tighten. The vendor says no one has ever mentioned this problem to them before and they have sold thousands. It may very well be my mistake, but I have taken apart and reassembled three times. When I use the old headlamp it tightens up fine. Using the exact same procedure with the new halogen lamp, it wiggles. I am afraid that when I mount this assembly in the headlamp bucket the light will wiggle as I go over bumps.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2012 15:29 #536578 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight Fit
I don't know why it wouldn't fit or which headlight type you bought. I can say that the 1975 Z1 uses the exact same part numbers for items #9 #10 in your diagram and that the headlight in the link below fits and works perfectly:

www.summitracing.com/parts/WAG-H6024/ .

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• bugsinmyteeth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jul 2012 17:13 #536600 by bugsinmyteeth
Replied by bugsinmyteeth on topic Headlight Fit

650ed wrote: I don't know why it wouldn't fit or which headlight type you bought. I can say that the 1975 Z1 uses the exact same part numbers for items #9 #10 in your diagram and that the headlight in the link below fits and works perfectly:

Sure looks like a cheap solution. Thx 650ed.

Here's the lamp I purchased:

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?item=EM66-75806

I'd like to use the one I already have if I can figure out why it won't fit tight.

Has anyone else had a similar problem getting that headlight to fit in their assembly (see post #1)?

Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY

• bugsinmyteeth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jul 2012 19:47 #537708 by bugsinmyteeth
Replied by bugsinmyteeth on topic Headlight Fit

650ed wrote: I don't know why it wouldn't fit or which headlight type you bought. I can say that the 1975 Z1 uses the exact same part numbers for items #9 #10 in your diagram and that the headlight in the link below fits and works perfectly:

650ed: I ordered the headlight you suggested and installed it. It fit perfectly. It was not without problems as the first headlight arrived on my porch in several pieces :ohmy: Summit racing was great to work with and sent me a replacement light immediately. Got it the next day.

As I said, I got it installed only to find out the problem wasn't with the headlight after all. The high beam still doesn't work. That's okay as I wanted to switch to halogen any way. Now, I'll do a search on KZr and see what I can find out about failed high beam. I suppose it could be the switch or a loose connection somewhere.

At any rate, thanks for the heads up about the wagner headlight. Cheap replacement that fits the bill.

Old School Is Cool!

1975 Kawasaki 900 (Z1B)
1982 Suzuki GS750E

Northern KY

More
22 Jul 2012 20:51 #537714 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Headlight Fit
Glad it worked out for you. I also found Summit good to work with. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)