Tail light fuse keeps blowing

More
14 Jul 2012 15:08 #535871 by BLSSeattle
Tail light fuse keeps blowing was created by BLSSeattle
Hi all. My 79 KZ1300 does everything right, except that for the past month that fuse keeps blowing. Runs the light for about 5 minutes but then poof, every time. I can't see anything up by the front that looks like a bare wire touching metal nor anywhere from the front back to the fuse box. The wiring from the box to the tail light all looks clean, too. Good grounds. I had to hot wire the tail light to the battery to get home in the dark last night. Now the cluster lights (speedo/tac...) don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2012 15:34 #535877 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Tail light fuse keeps blowing
I'd start by checking the wiring coming out of the tail light, going toward the main harness, looking for frayed wires or areas where they may be rubbing. Some Kawasaki's had the tail light wiring going under the rear fender, so look at that place good.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
16 Jul 2012 14:32 #536340 by BLSSeattle
Replied by BLSSeattle on topic Tail light fuse keeps blowing
I'm starting to wonder if its the main switch. Per the wiring diagram that's the only component connected to the tail light wiring. Other than that diode, which shouldn't blow the fuse.

More
16 Jul 2012 15:04 #536347 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Tail light fuse keeps blowing
Original to the bike ignition switch? They have to put up with a lot of off-on and vibration cycles, so maybe it's time for a new switch.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)