Starter issues - starter catching intermittently

More
13 Jul 2012 19:15 #535727 by jkb4c
Hello all. My 1982 Spectre 750 is running well for the most part, but I am having an issue with the starter. The starter spins and catches at random points. It will eventually start the bike after a minute or two of spinning and catching, but if this indicative of a bigger problem I'd like to take care of it.

What could be causing this, and how can I check? If this is the starter clutch, how involved is it to replace?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2012 20:22 #535740 by MFolks
What type and weight of engine oil being used? The saying "Oil is Oil" does not work on bikes with wet plate clutches. The "Car Oil" contains friction modifiers,the does not work well with motorcycle starting and final drive clutches.

On the back of most oil cans is a circular stamp with the certification. Avoid oils that say "energy conserving" in the bottom half of the donut.

These oils contain friction modifier additives that could cause clutch slipping over time. The EPA mandated certain gas mileage, so the auto makers turned to the oil manufacturers who came up with friction modifiers of the oil to meet these new standards. All XXw-20 and XXw-30 oils are energy conserving, and should not be used in your motorcycle. Don't buy any oil additives like STP or Slick-50.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jul 2012 20:35 #535742 by jkb4c
I just changed the oil and put in motorcycle-specific (non energy conserving) oil. I'm not sure what the previous owner used, so maybe with a couple good rides, if he had car oil in it the new stuff will "wash it out".

Could the starter clutch be worn out at 12,000 miles?

More
13 Jul 2012 22:15 #535752 by MFolks
It depends on how much abuse the previous owner did by using the wrong oil. I've never changed the rollers,springs and other parts on a Kz/Gpz 750, but I understand it can be done with the engine in the frame. Your Spectre engine should be the same regarding starting parts.

Here's some information:
www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1983-kz750-n2-spe.../partslist/8744.html

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 Jul 2012 20:40 #535925 by 83Zrider
Seems like oil and clutch is wrong topic. Interestingly i have 84 750 with similar sounding problem. It starts and cranks fine but after long drive ie gets hot it makes sound like starter spins free engaging periodically, like loose ratchet noise but louder? Does yours act up with cool or hot motor. My dad suggests gears sticking on shaft and not engaging properly.Maybe requiring dissassembly and lube/rebuild. New ones are pretty pricy. if you have alternative id love to hear it:)

More
14 Jul 2012 20:43 #535926 by 83Zrider
Seems like oil and drive clutch is wrong topic. Interestingly i have 84 750 with similar sounding problem. It starts and cranks fine but after long drive ie gets hot it makes sound like starter spins free engaging periodically, like loose ratchet noise but louder? Does yours act up with cool or hot motor. My dad suggests gears sticking on shaft and not engaging properly.Maybe requiring dissassembly and lube/rebuild. New ones are pretty pricy. if you have alternative id love to hear it:)

More
14 Jul 2012 21:12 #535930 by jkb4c
Mine is doing this consistently with a hot and cold engine.

Yeah, I've been doing some more research into this and I have seen a few threads about replacing the rollers and springs with the engine in the frame.

My plan is to ride the bike for now and see if the issue gets any better with the new oil, or worse. If it persists into this winter I'll replace the starter motor components and go from there.

More
04 Aug 2012 17:49 #540726 by 83Zrider
Hey mine remains ok but sketchy on hot refire so stall could be bad. On good note picked up gpz for 300 more than ne3w starter. Comes with fairing i wanted:) Good luck.