Quick Coil Question

More
12 Jul 2012 13:16 - 12 Jul 2012 13:31 #535433 by Spectre1982
Quick Coil Question was created by Spectre1982
I'm going to snag a set of 3.0 ohm Dyna ignition coils from Z1 Enterprises. My question is are the new dyna coils going to be direct replacements, that is, will my stock wiring plug into them or will I need to redo the red/green red/black connections? Do I need the Dyna S system for the coils to work?

My bike is a 1982 Spectre 750 all stock. I don't have points ignition, so I don't think the Dyna S is needed. I don't know how the new coils hook up and Z1's website has been down all week. Maybe I'll have to order from a different site. Just trying to get the right parts.

Thanks for any advice

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre

1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1985 Yamaha XV1000 Virago

(Avatar picture is from Alleycatscustoms.com)
Last edit: 12 Jul 2012 13:31 by Spectre1982.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 16:06 #535451 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Quick Coil Question
The Dyna and Accel replacement ignition coils use ring terminals(the type with the hole in the center, usually 3/16"). What came with the Kawasaki ignition coils, was a 1/4" push on connection, so, yes you'll need to do some terminal changing.

Wire Termination Insulation & Sizes

Terminal Insulation Color Wire Sizes
RED
22-18 gauge wire
BLUE
16-14 gauge wire
YELLOW
12-10 gauge wire
RED
8 Gauge

The ring terminal holes comes in many sizes, from #4 up to 1/2" in most cases, it's a matter of finding the tightest fitting hole to fit the fastener for the termination.

American Wire Gauge(AWG) is backwards to what many people think; that is 22 gauge is many times smaller than 10 gauge even though the number is bigger.

Here's how to ohm check your bikes stock pick up(Pulsing coils):

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup(Pulsing) coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(BEHIND A RIGHT SIDE, CD SIZED COVER) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS. The 550’s,650’s & 750’s may be backwards to the Z1’s,Kz900’s,Kz1000’s & Kz1100’s.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to for corrosion/loose pins too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Jul 2012 18:02 #535475 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Quick Coil Question

Spectre1982 wrote: I'm going to snag a set of 3.0 ohm Dyna ignition coils from Z1 Enterprises. My question is are the new dyna coils going to be direct replacements, that is, will my stock wiring plug into them or will I need to redo the red/green red/black connections? Do I need the Dyna S system for the coils to work?

My bike is a 1982 Spectre 750 all stock. I don't have points ignition, so I don't think the Dyna S is needed. I don't know how the new coils hook up and Z1's website has been down all week. Maybe I'll have to order from a different site. Just trying to get the right parts.

Thanks for any advice

If going to keep the stock igniter style ignition, there's a Dyna coil available that more closely matches resistance of the stock coil.

Am thinking the stock coil is less than 3 ohms. The 3 ohm green Dyna coil will function okay, but not as efficiently as a coil with resistance matching the stock coil.

Wondering why replace with a coil having higher resistance than stock?

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jul 2012 18:06 #535477 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Quick Coil Question
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in stop and go traffic, and the coils will fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com . I believe "Emgo" is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1. Copper plug wires with no supression caps(the best choice, will produce greater spark, but will produce audio noise on Radio's & T.V.'s)

2. Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can some times fail, like what came with the bike).

3. Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the "R" in the plug number, like B8RES).

4. Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and supression caps or supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar primary(small wire) electrical connection using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers will come really close, possibly causing an electrical short, blowing fuses. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with Nylon or Plastic non conductive ones, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wire fit into a port with a brass “Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(The Brits, Canadians and other countries call the sparkplug wires “High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)