KZ650 Wont start

• JohnnyBusiness
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2012 03:19 #535394 by JohnnyBusiness
KZ650 Wont start was created by JohnnyBusiness
Rode my bike yesterday...everything was fine. Wake and get ready to go to the gym, push the ignition on my bike aaaaaannnd....Click! nothing. Assuming its a dead battery (although there should be no real reason i can think of why my battery would have drained overnight), so I put it on the charger all day anyways. Get home from work tonight, cross my fingers, push the ignition, annnd......click. nothing. Battery power seemed alright as the lights were on and bright, and its a new battery, i bought it like a month ago and have only really been riding on it the past two weeks. Could it still be my battery somehow? Is my starter bad(although I always thought they slowly stopped working, and not just overnight)? I dont even know. I put it on a deep charge, so i know it would take a long time to charge, could i have just not charged it long enough? Up until now its been a one push start every time...and over night it went to hell. Advise? Opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 04:30 #535396 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic KZ650 Wont start
A battery can die instantly, even a new one, if there's an internal short, for instance. You need a volt-meter to check the battery's voltage. If it's good, you must also measure it under load, like when attemtping a start. I've had batteries with 12.4V unloaded that drops to 4V with a touch of the starter button.

If battery is good, it's either the starter solenoid or the starter or - also very likely - a bad connection to earth or the starter.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
12 Jul 2012 08:23 - 12 Jul 2012 08:24 #535403 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ650 Wont start
Would remove battery, add water if needed, charge overnight, and have it load-tested at local auto supply store (AutoZone, Walmart, etc.).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Jul 2012 08:24 by Patton.

• JohnnyBusiness
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jul 2012 15:34 #535689 by JohnnyBusiness
Replied by JohnnyBusiness on topic KZ650 Wont start
So funny story, the same day this happened to me, it also happened to my older brother. Same year bike, his is just a 1000 though and mine is the 650. He told me he took his battery off and there was almost no acid left, so i took mine off today...and whattaya know....there was almost no acid left in there. So i added some liquid and its charging now, im hoping this will solve the problem. It did for his bike

More
13 Jul 2012 15:42 #535692 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ650 Wont start
You might have an overcharging problem, use this guide for troubleshooting:

www.electrosport.com/technical-resources.../fault-finding-guide

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• JohnnyBusiness
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2012 12:09 #536063 by JohnnyBusiness
Replied by JohnnyBusiness on topic KZ650 Wont start
So I refilled the battery and put it on the charger for the day. before i went to bed i reconnected the battery in hope the refill would have been the answer. So i got everything hooked up, turned the key, hit the ignition switch and........click. It sounds like the click is coming fro under the seat somewhere. What should i look for now?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
15 Jul 2012 12:53 #536069 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ650 Wont start
Click under the seat, would be the starter solenoid. That is a heavy duty switch contact for the starter, it basically connects the starter motor to the battery. If it only clicks and the starter doesn't turn, you either have a bad battery, bad cable connections, a bad solenoid, or starter motor. First measure your battery voltage, it should be 12.6v or so. Then Try finding the solenoid, it has two large terminals with the battery positive cable coming to it, then continuing down to the starter, and two small wires which are the power from the push button and ground. So try jumping across the two large posts with a solid metal object, like a socket extension, and see if the starter spins then. If not try the negative cable, check where it goes down to the engine block, make sure that it is clean and tight, and check each of the 4 points for the positive cable connections.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
15 Jul 2012 16:09 #536109 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic KZ650 Wont start
You need to check the battery voltage during cranking in order to find out if the battery is the issue or if it's something else.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition