Problem Starter

More
10 Jul 2012 23:01 #535166 by BIGD
Problem Starter was created by BIGD
I get power to my starter, and it try's to engage but lately there is not enough to turn the engine over, and after a couple of try's not enough juice left to get it started. I have a brand new battery and when I turn the ignition on my lights seem to be fine, but that is it. The starter is not spinning or anything that relates to starter clutch or loose alternator bolt. I will replace the starter, but was looking for anything else that may cause this before I do that. The starter is original. Thanks Don

Had 1981 KZ1000 M1 From 1981-1995 Canadian Model
Have 1981 KZ1000 M1 US Model

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 23:40 #535176 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Problem Starter
Make sure all of the heavy duty battery cablea are clean and tight at the battery,starter solenoid,starter motor, and engine mounting bolt. Sometimes, cables get internal corrosion, making them "Crunchy" when flexed.

What size and year of bike? If you have a Kz1000, you might be able to use this as a replacement:

Using a Honda Mitsuba SM-220 Starter in the Kz (copied from the KZ rider website)

The CB F's used 2 different starters. Look for the one marked .8kw. They also have one that is .7kw. The owner noticed a difference when he installed his. He read that you can remove the outer housing, and rotate it. this will re-align the outer power terminal, to a better location. if you don’t do this, you will need to grind some metal from the chain cover to gain clearance. Also install a heavier gauge wire to the starter , I’d recommend 6 AWG(American Wire Gauge) welding cable with the correct terminal ends to match the treaded studs for the solenoid and starter motor. Don’t forget the cable from the battery to the solenoid.

The stock KZ starter is .6kw in size

www.stockers.com/index.php?dt=HS-29 (Mitsuba SM-220)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.