Z1 / Z900 Electrical Distributor

More
10 Jul 2012 03:55 #535007 by allank181
Z1 / Z900 Electrical Distributor was created by allank181
Hi. Has anyone seen one of these. It's a Z1/Z900 distributor setup. It mounts on the end of the crank where the points setup would normally be with the disy cap sitting up under the carbies. It has a toothed pulley that bolts to the crank which triggers a car type ignition module. The pulley then drives a toothed belt to turn the distributor. The only markings on it are "HPI 020" which is cast into the inside of the alloy housing.

Attachment IMGP2274.JPG not found

Attachment IMGP2275.JPG not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2012 17:37 #541426 by carpenoctem
Replied by carpenoctem on topic Z1 / Z900 Electrical Distributor
I've seen one before but that isnt the same. The one i saw had a different points cover that the distributor came out the top of like the magnetos on old harleys. If i could afford it id but it in a second but the guy wants too much for it.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 Aug 2012 00:17 #541500 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Z1 / Z900 Electrical Distributor

allank181 wrote: Hi. Has anyone seen one of these. It's a Z1/Z900 distributor setup. It mounts on the end of the crank where the points setup would normally be with the disy cap sitting up under the carbies. It has a toothed pulley that bolts to the crank which triggers a car type ignition module. The pulley then drives a toothed belt to turn the distributor. The only markings on it are "HPI 020" which is cast into the inside of the alloy housing.

Attachment IMGP2274.JPG not found

Attachment IMGP2275.JPG not found

This my friend was built by Bill Hahn Senior. For the drag racers back in the day, for the funny bikes with turbo's.
this unit was based on a general motors 4 cylinder chevy Luv truck, it used the gm 4 plug module, and a matter of fact the chevy Luv distibutor cap had to be turned down about .020 to get the cap to seat.
This had a pressure retard unit on it hooked to the boost gauge. So when it was way up on boost, the timming would retard and save your pistons. It was simple belt drive , 2 pulleys 1 industrial belt. You used a GM HEI coil. I had a street turbo hepled built by "Puppet" in the late 80's with extra goodies on it, double weld black mag wheel, alchol/water injection also to cool down the combustion. Sorry for the tangent. Bill Hahn senior built and designed it. Exceelent ignition.
I ran one on a rat bike dirt dragster to have fun. 2 wires pos and neg and a battery! it light it up!!!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
09 Aug 2012 00:28 #541502 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Z1 / Z900 Electrical Distributor
DO YOU WANT TO SELL IT? BACK OVER TO THE STATES
i SOLD MINE BEFORE EBAY, SOLD IT ON DRAGBIKE.COM
I TOOK $100 FOR IT (WTF)
if you have both pulleys, I can tell you the secret mark that is in one of the for lining up the belt and timing it!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!