Stator on 650B1 stuck in cover

More
06 Jul 2012 17:57 #534298 by faffi
Stator on 650B1 stuck in cover was created by faffi
I need to replace the stator cover and managed to remove the centre piece by tapping on the partly losened retaining bolts, but the outer stator seems to sit firmly after removing the 3 retaining bolts. Anybody know how best to separate it from the cover without damaging the stator?

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 19:21 #535121 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Stator on 650B1 stuck in cover
Well, I use a Phillips screwdrived inside the bolt holes to wiggle the stator gently out. The stator - and rotor - is off my parts bike and have now replaced the F1 alternator assembly fitted to my bike (B1 with F1 engine). The PO had somehow managed to get the new stator loosely fitted into the old style cover. In addition, the cover lacked the positioning dowels, had one bolt too short held in place with silicon (where the F1 engine features a third dowel) and the wiring harness is a mess - not the least because of the two very different charging systems.

So now I am swapping the wiring harness as well, which also forces swapping idiot lights, instruments lights and switchgear in order to bring the whole harness back to stock for. And even the set from the parts bike have been butchered a little and will require repair/replacement of contacts. Luckily, the pair will be enough to make one good one with all the stock contacts.

Wow, this really went off topic, didn't it :D

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.