Weird starting issue

More
30 Jun 2012 13:40 #532799 by beamer814
Weird starting issue was created by beamer814
Okay so i recently picked up a gpz550 with two issues first was the carbs where in desprate need of cleaning secondly the starter switch had goone out so heres my problem. I replaced the starter switch with a brand new right hand control and now when i try to pull the clutch in the bike trys to start Ive tested the switch and it appears to be fine. when i purchesed the bike i heard it run the owner had a starter solinoid switch and just clicked it over and got it to idle. so does anyone know what could be cousing the motor to attempt to start when i pull in the clutch?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2012 18:00 #532832 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Weird starting issue
The bike is designed so it will not start unless the clutch is pulled. In other words, there is a switch up at the clutch. Clearly, you have managed to wire something so that the clutch not only completes the circuit for ignition, but also engage the starter.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
30 Jun 2012 20:13 #532855 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Weird starting issue
Your start button is shorted, or the start button is wired differently, or you wired power to bypass thestart button, thus the clutch switch becomes the start button.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Jun 2012 20:59 #532871 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Weird starting issue
the starter button is now always on....key on and live button full time...if you did manage to get it running it will leave the starter engaged and chew away

take the starter control back in half and inspect the underside of the button ...follow the wires /colors from the button to the main connectors at the main harness..unplug them...then turn on the key with the bike in neutral ...pull in the clutch and brush the two main harness connections together...it should act like you pushed the button......

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife