KZ750 electric starter problem

More
29 Jun 2012 11:29 #532602 by JavierF
KZ750 electric starter problem was created by JavierF
Hey guys I bought my 1977 KZ750 about two weeks ago. The previous owner had it sitting for a year and a half, battery that came with it barely held any charge. But when hooked up to the charger everything worked meaning lights, signals and electric starter. So i got the battery tested at a shop, battery ended up not even charging so I purchased new one. After I install it all lights work I kick start the bike ride around for half an hour. When i go to try to turn it on an hour after with the electric start everything shuts off and even the ignition lights are off (neutral light), and bike is no longer even starting with the kick start. Any idea what can be my issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2012 11:35 #532603 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic KZ750 electric starter problem
Does/did the battery seem to be dead? If so, the you gotta look at the charging system, likely the rectifier. If the lights were good and bright, and pushing the starter button caused instant death to everything, I would look at the main fuse, and search for what caused it to blow.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JavierF

More
29 Jun 2012 11:40 #532604 by JavierF
Replied by JavierF on topic KZ750 electric starter problem
The battery was running strong and fully charged when i first put it on, and while riding. Until I pressed the electric starter button then its like if the battery was not even there. I checked the main 20A fuse and its good I even replaced it with a spare and still no sign of electricity.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
29 Jun 2012 14:42 #532624 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic KZ750 electric starter problem
JavierF, a couple things to check,

1) Ignition switch has 3 positions, full left - off, 1st position to right (straight up)- on (ignition and lights), full right - park (ignition off, all lights except tail off). The key can be removed in this location and the rear tail light is on for side of the road emergency parking.

2) There is a shut-off switch on the throttle housing that must be on for power to the ignition.

3) there is a starter interlock switch in the clutch housing that requires the clutch lever be pulled to complete power to the starter button.

Good Luck,
Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
The following user(s) said Thank You: JavierF

More
30 Jun 2012 13:48 #532800 by JavierF
Replied by JavierF on topic KZ750 electric starter problem
Ok I went through all the checks and had no luck.
1) no light turns on in any position on the ignition switch
2)The shut off switch on the throttle housing was on
3) and the clutch was being lever was being depressed while trying to engage the starter

I dropped the motorcycle off at American Motorcycles in Paterson NJ they are going to run an electrical evaluation on it. The mech told me that the battery was completely drained and that it most likely had to deal with a problem in the charging system. Ill post up when I find out what the problem is. Thanks guys