1978 kz650 electrical questions

More
24 Jun 2012 10:45 #531421 by wotsken
1978 kz650 electrical questions was created by wotsken
hi everyone my name is ken
i am new hear thanks everyone for all the amazing info on this site you all rock

ok i bought a 1978 kz 650 i am turning it into a bobber i got it for $80 because it has some electric problems i am in the prosses of testing as much as i can i am setting in limbo right now i had no battery or regulator/rectifier to be able to do to much also found some other broke electric problems i have parts on order and should get to the meat of it next week
i have some very starter info i need to ask if anyone has time to answer i looked for this info if its on hear i am sorry in advance i have been looking for 3 weeks now love this site by the way so i will just list them help please and thank you

1. i want to take out allot of electrical accesorys like i am taking the gages down to the speedo and lights in it all other light on the front are coming off and other things that i dont need -- will i make the r/r work harder if i take things off the bike do i need to lower the electricity going out to not over work the r/r if not please explain why ??

2. i know there is an amazing guy on hear that rights up electric diagrams for people i am hoping you have time to do that for me ---- i want to keep the break light turn signals head light speedo lights 2 in the speedo stock key stock right and left controls i dont have the money to change them so head light on and off on right and hi low on left kill switch and start button i dont need to hazzard or the horn

i am sure i am forgeting something
sorry if i by chance am posting this wrong
thanks for reading
ken

i like it old school

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2012 12:34 - 26 Jun 2012 16:45 #531434 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 1978 kz650 electrical questions
Welcome Ken.

Sounds like your not really getting rid of much in your wiring.
You say that you don't need the hazzard or the horn.
Currently neither my hazzard or horn are working.

What condition is the wiring harness in?
Might be able to fix the problem areas in the harness.
www.cwswiring.com/ makes custom wiring harnesses.

There have been a few custom wiring diagrams posted.

Here's a few others have posted:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 26 Jun 2012 16:45 by rstnick.

More
26 Jun 2012 09:26 #531845 by wotsken
Replied by wotsken on topic 1978 kz650 electrical questions
ok the old owner of the bike stoped by and told me what happened - he he got the bike running it fired up for just a second but didnt have a good battery so he wanted to start it buy the start button so he started up his car while the car was running he hooked up the jumper cables he got it started left the cables hooked up ran it high reving it then he saw the lights getting brighter and then they all blew up head light break lights all bulbs i finaly got in a and looked at the coils on the bike and they looked like part of something had boiled and had driped on my valve covers so i dont know for sure but i would guess they are gone not sure if the wires could make it on that i know it seemed strange on the right hand controls how everything seem to be stuck i was told they did work ---- so i guess that end result is i will most likly have to have a whole new electric system if anyone could help with and experiance they might have -- oooo and i am getting rid of the turn signals now that should help get some more junk out of the way

thanks for the info rstnick very helpfull

i like it old school

More
21 Aug 2012 22:58 #543991 by wotsken
Replied by wotsken on topic 1978 kz650 electrical questions
its been a while i have been working on it when i have time i had wires burned out all over the place took some time but i fixed one wire at a time got it all back into working order in the harness now i am down to testing things found out that the starter relay is bad and both coils are bad they are on order i am now working on small stuff like fender brackets, new lights turn break and headlight getting rid of junk on the frame and about to cut on the frame to lower the seat pan and weld in a little sissy bar then make the new seat pan it fun is all that matters i am loving every second

i like it old school