Horn Switch Reassembly/Testing

More
14 Jun 2012 18:14 - 14 Jun 2012 18:33 #529136 by splazoid
Horn Switch Reassembly/Testing was created by splazoid
Hello all.

I am working on recomissioning an '81 KZ440A2 LTD, and need help with the horn switch as it was not working.

Here is what I know
1)There is power to the left hand assembly because the signals work, and i also put a voltage meter on the black wire coming up from the horn to frame and found my voltage is there.

2) The horn works

Here is the tricky part
I very carefully disassembled the horn switch and gently dusted off the bits, however I cannot seem to understand how to reassemble the switch - there are two rocker type prongs, and two metal balls...exactly what order everything should go in i am uncertain of.

If anyone has gone into these before and can explain them, I would definitely appreciate it.
Otherwise, is there an inexpensive replacement?
Last edit: 14 Jun 2012 18:33 by splazoid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2012 21:06 #529177 by rustbuckett
Replied by rustbuckett on topic Horn Switch Reassembly/Testing
I tore my horn switch apart (82 Kz750-N1 Spectre) a week or two ago. The switch sounds similar to what yu describe. My horn switch worked only intermittently and even then the horn sound was weak. A good cleaning and lube settled the whole problem.

It was a little tricky. I might have to draw a handwritten picture and then scan it in and post it to show how it goes back together. I'll try words first.

The two bent/angled pieces of brass are different. One of them has a circle of extra material on one end; it's sort of like an old fashoned contact breaker from old cars & bikes. That piece goes on the upper side of the horn switch, with the circular contact being on your left side. The ball bearing simply sits in the V-notch of the bend and acts as a pivot point for the plastic switch.

The other bent brass strip goes on the bottom (closest to you as you have it on a bench) and it should be obvious how it fits back in. Its ball bearing is identical to the first one. The ball bearings should get some dielectric grease as a lubricant.

That's as far as my brain can picture the switch's innards. i had trouble with that multiswitch turn signal because three of the wires came un-soldered as I disassembled the switch system, and most of my time was spent repairing those failed solder points.

Let me know if this was of any help and/or if you need more info. maybe you can do a close up snapshot and post it to refresh my 9or anyone else's) memory. Good luck.

82 KZ750-N1 Spectre (reviving)
88 EN450-A4L (reviving)
81 Suzuki GS450 (project)
Five Yamaha Blasters YFS200 (for the kids)
01 TT-R 125 (for youngest boy)
96 Honda Foreman 400 4X4 Old Faithful workhorse
The following user(s) said Thank You: splazoid

More
14 Jun 2012 22:23 #529188 by tito
Replied by tito on topic Horn Switch Reassembly/Testing
I did it recently. 
2 vent metal go to the housing first. Longer arm with a small metal round thing to the terminal side and other metal piece goes opposite direction. Then you put each ball on each metal pieces. The plastic lever has two holes and you have springs in the each holes. Carefully put the plastic lever on the metal balls so that balls goes inside of the lever holes. Put shaft and clip and good to go! :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: splazoid