Spark plug question

More
13 Jun 2012 10:29 #528801 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Spark plug question
This is related, so I'll ask it here. On my Dyna copper wires, there doesn't seem to be a resistor of any kind. So should I be using resistor plugs? Or is it fine since they're different? I'm actually not 100% sure what I have for wires to be honest, I switched a couple times a few years ago and cant remember what I ended up with.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Jun 2012 10:36 #528804 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Spark plug question
You don't need any resistors for the ignition to work properly. the resistors are for Noise suppression. So if you have an electrical device, such as your Acewell tach that is effected, then add the resistor plugs. But only if you have no other resistor in the secondary circuit/ plug wire and cap.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
13 Jun 2012 13:34 - 13 Jun 2012 13:37 #528838 by gravit8
Replied by gravit8 on topic Spark plug question
Okay...ummm? So as I pulled the plug wires to pull my valve cover, I had one break, time for new plug wires/boots/etc (overdue anyways, probably been a few years).

I checked, and my 83 KZ1100A3 has NGK BR8ES plugs installed. PO was an experienced tech so I'm guessing he didn't double up on the resistors installed, bike has run great, no voltage issues to speak of.

So, with the resistor plugs installed, I should get the suppression wire NGK plug kit? When I called Z1 to ask he suggested I buy the ignition wire by the foot, however the only plug caps they offer are resistor models. Now I'm scratching my head, because the description on the plug sets only say 'DO NOT USE SUPPRESSION WIRES WITH RESISTOR PLUG CAPS' and I'm just like wtf?

So, to clarify, my plugs ARE resistor style NGK BR8ES, installed on my 1100A3. I need a new set of wires and plug caps. Point me in the right direction, if you kind sirs could please?

(edit) Or would it be something to consider getting new non-resistor plugs and the associated wire/plug cap set? Since I'm messing about with things it wouldn't hurt to get new plugs as well, I guess.

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...
Last edit: 13 Jun 2012 13:37 by gravit8.

More
13 Jun 2012 14:30 #528852 by T_Dub
I'd get new wires with the resistor caps and new non-resistor plugs. A set of plugs is only like ten bucks.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
13 Jun 2012 14:58 #528858 by gravit8
So I went back and looked at what I've got; it appears the coils and plug wires may be actual original hardware (?)

Here is what I found: The plug cap ends, where the ignition wires feed into the boot, have a small screw-like, threaded metal piece in the middle of the hole; it appears that you simply insert the ignition wire, without removing the inner-most layer of insulation, and just 'screw' the wire in, as the threaded bit goes inside the center of the ignition cable. A little trimming of the bit that had been inside the end of the boot to get fresh cable was all it took to get the cable and boot back together pretty snugly. The part that connects the coils has a threaded black plastic cap, with what appears to be the same screw-like bit on the inside of the coil to connect the ignition cable.

Now, of course, I'm wondering if this original boot/plug cap has built-in resistors, as the plugs themselves are in fact resistor plugs (NGK BR8ES plugs). The coils have no markings except 'made in japan' and the ignition cables are numbered 1-4, with the word 'NICHIWA' and below it 'LB05F' on the plug caps themselves.

I'm just...you know, like, hmmm, wtf is going on here? Bike has run fine for several thousand miles I've had it, no real electrical problems or lack of voltage, fires just fine. Is this original hardware, using a resistor plug? Part of me says I should just swap it out for all new cables, plugs and caps, but then again, if it's still original and was working I'm hesitant to replace it even if it is a cheap 'upgrade'. Something about trying to keep the bike original niggles the back of my brain. Call me crazy.

I honestly don't know how fast I was going, officer; My speedo tops out at 85...

More
13 Jun 2012 16:10 #528876 by T_Dub
LB05F means that its a 5 kiloohm resistor cap. That does indeed sound like stock hardware. Somewhere along the line someone put resistor plugs in. The spark plugs are regular maintenance items so its not surprising that they're not original.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravit8

More
13 Jun 2012 16:34 #528882 by gravit8
hmm well I guess I'll be getting new hardware then, at least regular plugs. Seems weird, PO was a legit, qualified, experienced tech, had owned the bike since like 1986. Now I've got to wonder wtf else going on...wonder what kind of HP I haven't had. Thanks T_Dub.