82 KZ750H Charging System Woes

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2012 21:06 - 12 Jun 2012 21:07 #528619 by mushroom_toy
82 KZ750H Charging System Woes was created by mushroom_toy
Went through a lot of testing/good known parts and now Im charging at 13-13.5v at idle and throughout rpm range.Started out not charging at all and after a little cleaning and a newish stator im at 13ish.

Put a known good stator in and known good reg/rec and no change.
Battery is agm and is about a year old has a 12.9v charge standing and .2v drop with key on.
My stator tested bad (shorted on one lead to chassis ground) but still puts out 56vac across each lead at 4k rpm just like the newer one.

My problem is it wont charge above say 13.7v and fluctuates. Wiring is clean and fixed a small ground issue with the reg/rec. will not hit 14v at 4k rpm either. I did find that the sense wire on the reg/rec is receiving about a .5v drop from battery voltage...would this be enough to make the bike not hit 14v charge? I am running a led tailight, regular turn signals and an HID 35w headlight, although it is wired to a switch so not on when bike is started/running until I turn it on. Also only running the tach.

Bike is an 82 KZ750 H LTD. If anyone has any insight let me know. Thanks guys!

Bike was running and charging great...only started doing this about a month after I got back from Daytona this year.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2012 21:07 by mushroom_toy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
12 Jun 2012 22:07 - 12 Jun 2012 22:08 #528630 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 82 KZ750H Charging System Woes
With the sense wire, showing a .5 volt drop. then it should be overcharging. You are probably seeing a voltage drop between R/R output and the battery/ main fuse feed wire. Or you could have a poor chassis ground on the Black/ yellow, negative side. It takes both to complete the circuit. Either the + or - is losing the voltage sounds like.
Pulling the sense wire lose, so it sees no voltage, should increase your charging voltage across the battery to well over 15v if everything else is good.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 12 Jun 2012 22:08 by Motor Head.

• mushroom_toy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2012 22:37 #528647 by mushroom_toy
Replied by mushroom_toy on topic 82 KZ750H Charging System Woes
Gotcha thats what I thought but wnted to make 100% sure it wouldnt make voltage drop. For some reason I am seeing 14v at some times now. Went riding for a while and bike seems to be starting right up, although every time I start bike voltage drops from 12.8-13.4 down to 10.64-11.94, so Im gonna go take the battery with me tomorrow and get it tested, even though it should be good. After that I will pull the sense wire and see what happens.